Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tasks for slaves
I'm putting together the school programs for Roman Days coming up at the end of September. I'm trying to get away from the more traditional "treasure hunt" type activity where you get barraged with 500 kids all asking you the same questions. Instead, I'm creating a list of "errands" for each student or group of students to research and accomplish by exploring the different areas of the camp and listening to the presentations.

For example, one task is "Your mistress is hosting a large banquet this evening and has sent you out to do the shopping. What kinds of foods might you find at a Roman banquet? Create a sample menu from these foods."

The idea is that the kids would go to the caupona, listen to the food presentation and take notes. Then they'd go back to the classroom and create their menu.

I'd like "errands" for each area of the camp which will include:

- Caupona - food and civilians
- Military/Roman fort/barracks
- Gladiators
- Celts

I'd also like errands from different types of people say a wealthy matron, a middle class matron, a legionaire, a politician, etc. etc. so there will be a few sets of errands to mix things up a bit.

So any ideas you guys can think of would be extremely helpful.

thanks in advance!
----------
Deb
Sulpicia Lepdinia
Legio XX
What comes to mind:

- Your master is going to court tomorrow to plead a legal case. You need to prepare his wardrobe and equipment. What will he need? Where do you get it?

- Your family has visitors from Upper Germany who have never been to Rome. What can you show them? What entertainment is available? Prepare a city walk and give them a choice of places to go.

- Your master's son wants to study philosophy. Find out where the best place for that is and what books and other supplies he will need.

- You have been told to find business opportunities in trade for your master to invest a large sum of cash. What goods sell at a high price in Rome? Where can you get them? How long and how risky is the voyage?

- Your master is retiring from political life and wants to go out with a bang. He intends to throw great games and give the city a gift. Find out what he can do, and put together a programme and a list of options.

- A veteran settlement is planned on public land. What will a Roman city of 5,000 people need? What should you build first?
Der Kessel ist voll Bärks!

Volker Bach
Great suggestions - i especially like the throwing a great games one as I was trying to figure out how to work in our gladiators.

Thanks a bunch!! Keep 'em coming!!
----------
Deb
Sulpicia Lepdinia
Legio XX