Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Attaching Horse Tail plume to Montifortino
Just got my horse tail ready for the Montifortino helmet. I have been looking at two ways of attaching the plume, one is this way http://www.larp.com/legioxx/crests.html that inserts the plume using a pin, the other option I am thinking of is drilling out the hole in the helmet's top knob to enlarge it and glueing in the hair so that it is more permanent. The only draw back to this is that I would only be able to use 1/2 of the hair so that it can fit in the hole.
What is the prefered method of attachment? Were they fixed so they could be inserted/removed easily with the aid of a pin, or attached permanently?
My horse tail is glued to a brass cup which is on top of a short spike of square section, which I then hammered into the hole tightly. This allows more of the hair to be used.

I also made two feather holders that are attached to a brass plumbing ring, and the ring screwed (yet to be properly riveted) tight around the base of the Montefortino's knob.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Yes, it needs to be tight to stop it weather vaneing.... :x o
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rat-tail pugios? Virilis 13 3,303 03-01-2011, 04:21 AM
Last Post: Crispvs
  Fox-wolf-dog tail on helmets FAVENTIANVS 14 2,792 07-12-2010, 09:11 PM
Last Post: A_Volpe