Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alexander in Bactra
This article deals with the French excavations of a site near Balkh that probably is the site of pre-Hellenistic Bactra. If the identification is correct, it is the place where Zarathustra was killed and Alexander married Rhoxane. Not results yet, but it is interesting - and it is reassuring that the site has not been abandoned.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Nice! And is it possible to know when did the excavation began? I used to think that any serious excavations in Bactria (or Indo-Greece) were never been done. I remember I had read it in wikipedia.

Anyway, I hope this is only the beginning. I'm sure awesome things would be found there.
Ai Kanum (I don't remember its ancient name) and a few other sites have been thoroughly excavated. But is a big area, split among countries which are unstable and hard to get to these days.

Thanks for the link, Jona. I'm glad to see some good news coming from Afghanistan.
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.
Quote:Nice! And is it possible to know when did the excavation began?
Pretty recently; the discovery was less than 35 months ago.
Quote:Ai Kanum (I don't remember its ancient name)
Alexandria on the Oxus.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
This should be fascinating assuming that they can continue to work in the region.

This is not the neighborhood I would want to work in long term, which really sucks because what they could learn is something I really want to know. Especially since wht we know of Bactria is just so small, we really are to a large degree stuck with interpretations of coinage and not much else.
Timothy Hanna

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Alexander\'s palace in Bactra identified Jona Lendering 5 1,920 07-31-2006, 03:21 AM
Last Post: Jona Lendering