Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boxers in the arena?
A question for the more knoweledgeable: We find pictures of boxers combined with those of gladiators in some mosaics. CIL X 1074 also mentions 'pugiles' and 'athletas' - I assume those are boxers or wrestlers?

Do we know whether they were part of a ludus or professionals from a separate circuit? Would they fight like gladiators, for praemia and with v/m/th scores? Or are they just entertainment, like the musicians and mimes?
Der Kessel ist voll Bärks!

Volker Bach
Just off hand without browsing thru my books I know that for a private show for Emperor Domitian there were boxers as well as the gladiators/gladiatrices at the same event.

Usually boxing was consideres as one of the Greek athletic contests and had nothing to do with the munera which consisted in the Imperial period of the venationes (beast hunts i.e. beast against beast or beast against man [venator])in the morning, the executions at noontime and the gladiatorial combats as a highlight in the afternoon. There might have been some intermission programs such as the sparsiones, lottery or acrobatic shows inbetween.

The musicians though were an integral part of the munera. A band consisting of cornu players, tibi players and very often the water organist was accompanying the combats of the gladiators.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Boxers Practice Gloves found at Vindolanda Crispianus 1 1,596 03-07-2021, 09:55 AM
Last Post: Crispianus
  Boxers Pict 16 5,878 11-29-2010, 02:30 AM
Last Post: Forty-One