Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
World\'s End
I saw on TV that the world may be destroyed today. This is all I could find out about if the world had been destroyed:

www.hasthelhcdestroyedtheearth.com

Ralph
That's because we live in a different time zone. Just wait.

But seriously, how can a wind tunnel destroy the world ?

~Theo
Jaime
Perhaps the answer should be NOT YET.
You will probably know when it happens long enough to think "W....."
as in the complete thought "What the H***"
John Kaler MSG, USA Retired
Member Legio V (Tenn, USA)
Staff Member Ludus Militus https://www.facebook.com/groups/671041919589478/
Owner Vicus and Village: https://www.facebook.com/groups/361968853851510/
It's not really a windtunnel. It was all about the huge new particle accelerator in Switzerland that was booted up yesterday. Some doom-sayers predicted it would create a black hole and destroy the world. Not yet, I guess!
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Sooo....it's a glorified windtunnel ?

Actually, I asked with tongue in cheek, I should have added a wink earlier. Smile roll:

Anyway, I was up last night and read that it was about to be activated in a couple of hours - 12:30 midnight, my timezone. When 1am came I figured it all went well. *whew*

Of course, it'll take decades to examine all the data from this one experiment. I wonder when the physicists will start publishing any conclusions.

~Theo
Jaime
Indeed the tunnel was a couple of years old, but before yesterday they only used it in one direction. The 'new' experiment yesterday was to use it in more directions, so you can bang 2 particles into each other with more power. This all was to get insight in the Big Bang with could be the beginning of all particles.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Well..we're all still here.... Tongue
Morrighan
(Linda)
Are we all here? I only see pictures of you guys....

But if a black hole had been created, I suspect it would be a lot of trouble to keep up with it. It would take a pretty big sack to stick it in, yes?

Old Star Trek anyone? "Sir, the matter/anti-matter balance is breaking down...the warp core...where can we get more dilithium crystals in this quadrant?"
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
hmm maybe we are not here anymore at all....maybe we just think we are Confusedhock:
Tongue
Morrighan
(Linda)
This is something I wrote on the blog http://dorigo.wordpress.com/
that mainly discusses High Energy Physics

LHC = Large Hadron Collider
Hadron = in this case proton

"In science all laws and theories are induced from a finite amount of experiments. (paraphrsaing Einstein “no experiment can prove a theory; it takes just one experiment to disprove a theoryâ€
Jeffery Wyss
"Si vos es non secui of solutio tunc vos es secui of preciptate."
Quote:Old Star Trek anyone? "Sir, the matter/anti-matter balance is breaking down...the warp core...where can we get more dilithium crystals in this quadrant?"

"Everthing seems to be working within normal parameters but we have yet to run an internal diagnostic!" :wink:
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
"Everthing seems to be working within normal parameters but we have yet to run an internal diagnostic!"

A contradiction as normalcy is defined by diagnostics. Anyway
LOL
Jeffery Wyss
"Si vos es non secui of solutio tunc vos es secui of preciptate."
Quote:"Everthing seems to be working within normal parameters but we have yet to run an internal diagnostic!"

A contradiction as normalcy is defined by diagnostics. Anyway

Usually the point in the script when something starts to go horribly wrong! However it will be resolved in about 45 minutes, more or less. or we might have to wait on edge until next week! :wink:
G.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
The end of the world was never going to happen yesterday! All that was scheduled for yesterday (and all that they did) was to send a beam clockwise around the ring, turn it off, send another beam around counter-clockwise. There were never plans to colide the beams yesterday, and that's what you would need to create a black hole. Stupid media got it completely wrong. The world is going to end in a few months once they start coliding the beams at full power. Geesh! Big Grin
L. Cornelius Scaeva (Jim Miller)
Legio VI VPF

"[The Romans understood] it is not walls that protect men but men that protect walls" - Strabo
I believe the next test is October 21st.

Whenever it happens it could result in the perfect Zen Moment -- as I sit in my backyard under the lemon tree, wine cooler in hand, and watch as absolute nothingness approaches in the blink of an eye.

Or something like that... :roll:

:wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA