Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Herculaneum soldier
I do think that when the Archaeologist who was responsible for all of this material from this soldier at Pompeii gets his finger out and puts pen to paper we all might have a better understanding of just what is what. This particular subject is or has been discussed at the same time in this place and in repro.', and looking at all the pictures that have been put forward I can only conclude that there were two belts of the same type. Indeed if we look at the post on this in the repro' section it is in respect of a belt that has been produced by Konig, when viewed correctly one finds that there are three different belt plate pictures that he has used but were they all used on the same belt ?
Brian Stobbs
The picture posted by Bishop shows a gladius with scabbard, probably of some kind of net-like fitment type, probably of Mainz type (??). Over that kind of scabbard is a kind of strap, decorated with tree circular motifs and a terminal.

It's exactly the same that we found in the Herculaneum soldier. Except for the type of the sword, that in this soldier is an strange little Mainz with embossed decoration.

For the analysi of the pictures, seem that each cercele is hinged with the other, and that conjunt probably are fixed over a leather strap, that covers partially the scabbard.

It's curious, because the fact that are hinged remembers me an strange strap of Vindonissa (Unz/ Deschler-Erb 1997 number 1276), that are formed of some metalic squares hinged each to another and the last finish in a lunullae form. That strap is riveted to a leather, as shows the presence of rivets... In my opinion is very strange to be an ordinary apron strap.

So, probably we have another type of military artifact, asociated with swords, wich function is not defined. I don't think it's covers the belt end strap.... Probably it's more one kind of symbol, as probably the apron straps were, but who knows...?
@ Mike and Cesar.

More BLING!!! Oh very cool!!! Big Grin
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Why could it not be a baldric?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Sorry, but what's meaning BLING? :oops:

Byron, it have little sense to be a baldric, because in the exemple posted by Mike Bishop, the sword hangs directly from a belt (in the so-called "cowboy" style, with two belts).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bling-bling :wink:
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Thanks! Yes, more Bling... Roman soldiers were very BLINGY people... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Which is why I suggest a baldric....after all not too long in the past people said Romans never wore 2 wide plated belts in this 'cowboy' fashion! :wink:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
If the strap has fittings for attaching it to the sword belt rings, then a baldric's feasible. However, surely the strap would not only be wrapped around the scabbard for carrying, but the decoration would surely be facing inwards as it would have had to fall over the scabbard face down?

Cesar's comment on another at Vindonissa with a lunular terminal as seen on the Daverzus stele, the Daverzus stele itself, and this strap being face up running the length of the scabbard, makes me think it's possibly another spangly blingy noisemaker, like a belt apron, attached to a scabbard's face.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Hmmm, anything is possible. But why cover a scabbard?
I suppose it is a way of 'blinging up' a plain scabbard. What if any scabbard plates are there under the 'thing'?
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
It looks like there's a very nice scabbard beneath the strap, but so what? Since when did our modern logic and aesthetics apply to our favourite ancients?
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
What has not been mentioned and it becomes very evident when we examine the pictures, this thing what ever it might be that is ontop of the scabbard is not from our soldier in question. It is a piece of another scabbard which now gives us three situations of this type of thing, the very bold one we are looking at then the scabbard of our soldier and of course the depiction on the tomb stone. In my opinion I would say that in all cases it is a portion of a belt of sorts, for the tomb stone tends to show a buckle at the bottom end.
Brian Stobbs
Quote:for the tomb stone tends to show a buckle at the bottom end.
Could be a buckle, or a lunular or double-phallic pendant maybe.

Of course, this could be yet another style of displaying phalerae awards? Instead of the usual type on a body harness, perhaps they were a type worn on the scabbard instead; especially useful if wearing a seg with it's more complex shoulder assembly?

http://www.romanarmy.com/cms/component/ ... Itemid,94/
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
I don't realy know Jim however may be somthing like that, but when you look close at all of these pics' we are seeing three situations of this.
Brian Stobbs
Quote:It looks like there's a very nice scabbard beneath the strap, but so what? Since when did our modern logic and aesthetics apply to our favourite ancients?

What do you mean so what.....

Why would you bling up a scabbard to cover it up? What has that got to do with modern logic? What makes you think I can't under stand the way an ancient thinks?

To me it just look like a fragment of another belt anyway...not so blong really. An it could also be an award of somesort? There are finds of medals and phalerae, so why not other types of awards?

(but I see you have thought of that on your own too!)
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Herculaneum soldier\'s equipment Crispvs 13 3,119 08-29-2014, 07:25 PM
Last Post: ROMan
  Herculaneum soldier Tarbicus 70 14,031 01-17-2007, 04:57 PM
Last Post: Tib. Gabinius