Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Herculaneum soldier
If you see the Daverzus sword, the unidintified item it's over the scabbars, as in the Herculaneum soldier's sword/pugio... And, it's not a belt strap end, because at the stele the strap end of the belt is well depicted (see at the right of the sword).

It's not a fragment of other belt, as Byron suggests, because the human figures depicted are positioned to be vertical. The human figures of a belt plate, like the ones from the soldier, have to be horizontal.

It's not a wide baldric, because the sword of Daverzus hangs directly from a belt.

I agree with the possibility of some kind of dinstintion, rank symbol, medal, phalera, etc... It's not possible to say, but seems it have a symbolic function more than a practical function.

Seems ilogical that the sword decoration it's covered by that. But you have to think that probably first you buy the sword and then you put it over the "strap item". Or, probably, the item were detachable and you only wear it in parade, or in special situations...

It's hard to say... We only can made speculations.
Quote:Why would you bling up a scabbard to cover it up?
Because awards are far more important to show off than a blingy scabbard?
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Do you think a blingy scabbard/sword might have been awards as well?
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
I could think of other places to hang blingy awards than over my blingy scabbard! (which as you say Sulla, may well have been awarded to me in the first place...) :wink:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:I could think of other places to hang blingy awards than over my blingy scabbard! (which as you say Sulla, may well have been awarded to me in the first place...) :wink:

Where?
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Hello,
I think, most informations about this issue you will find in the recent article of Salvatore Ortisi, Gladii aus Pompeji, Herculaneum und Stabia. Germania 84, 2006, 369-385 (including a catalogue of all that weapons).
Greetings, Eckhard
Eckhard Deschler-Erb
University of Zurich
Acroos my chest on a strap? Tongue
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Hello,
I think, most informations about this issue you will find in the recent article of Salvatore Ortisi, Gladii aus Pompeji, Herculaneum und Stabia. Germania 84, 2006, 369-385 (including a catalogue of all that weapons).
Greetings, Eckhard

Thanks Eckhard! Smile
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
And I can think of better ways to make a baldric than as if it's a wide belt with solid edges :wink:
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Was there no leather on it then?
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Does it matter in this instance? It looks like no belt I've ever seen, and you'd have a hard time making it conform to your body.

[Image: vagina.jpg]
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Ahh, see, I was reading the edging as leather..... :roll:
I can see it better now.....including the scabbard decorations underneath.
But still, I have a hard time accepting it as permanently over the sword scabbard.
Perhaps it was hung relative to it as he escaped from the area/home.

But yes, I see it is not a belt now. Thanks and my apologies to all and especially Cesar for arguing on too long on this.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Why? Arguin is a good thing and profitous to all! :wink:
Quote:Why? Arguin is a good thing and profitous to all! :wink:

No it's not....
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Well ,it is actually! Right!! :lol:
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Herculaneum soldier\'s equipment Crispvs 13 3,119 08-29-2014, 07:25 PM
Last Post: ROMan
  Herculaneum soldier Tarbicus 70 14,030 01-17-2007, 04:57 PM
Last Post: Tib. Gabinius