Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strategos Autokrator
I always thought that the title Strategos Autokrator was first used for Alexander, by the Council of the Corinthian League. Perhaps also for Philip, because Alexander inherited his office from his father. Now I read (Diodorus 13.69.3 = Ephorus) that Alkibiades received the title from the Athenians in 408. Is there evidence to corroborate this?
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Aristiedes also if we believe Plutarch was invested with such authority at Platea.

Probably Miltiades against Paros after Marathon but that is speculative.

Kind regards
Quote:Aristiedes also if we believe Plutarch was invested with such authority at Platea.

Probably Miltiades against Paros after Marathon but that is speculative.
Sometimes, it's predictable who will give the excellent answer you're hoping for. Laudes, Stefanos, again.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
"Autokrator" came to mean "Emperor" but this was not its classical meaning. The literal meaning is "in charge of everything himself",thus strategos autokrator is the literal meaning of "general". As is well known,the Athenians had 10 generals,elected,and they had democracy. So giving such power to one man was exceptional,and it seems it occured only in limited extreme situations. Similar was the case with many other cities,and certainly,when allied troops were gathered,each part kept their own generals. Example is the "Anabasis". Again giving all the power to one man-Alexander-was something unusual and exceptional,out of normal,not only of Democrats but all previous greek armies. Remember,not even Agamemnon is called by this name,and how could he,since again Achilles had the power to keep his men under his command. Illiad here is relevant because it symbolizes the customs of most Greeks.
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
I agree with Giannis. If i recall right Cheirisophos was elected strategos autokrator too when the Myrioi got to Sinope.
aka Yannis
----------------
Molon lave
I agree with Giannis. If i recall right Cheirisophos was elected strategos autokrator too when the Myrioi got to Sinope.
aka Yannis
----------------
Molon lave
(09-16-2008, 01:49 PM)Jona Lendering Wrote: I always thought that the title Strategos Autokrator was first used for Alexander, by the Council of the Corinthian League. Perhaps also for Philip, because Alexander inherited his office from his father. Now I read (Diodorus 13.69.3 = Ephorus) that Alkibiades received the title from the Athenians in 408. Is there evidence to corroborate this?

Dionysius I of Syracuse was awarded this title in the late 5th century BC.