Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Corinthian War
Hello all,

I wonder if anyone knows of any good literature about the period from the end of The Peloponnesian War till the Rise of Macedon. I have looked but there seems to be very little information about this period. I have read Xenophon and Plutarchus and they provide some information but it's not a lot. Also Diodorus has a bit but overall the material is very scarce. Does anyone know about a good book or some good books that have been written about this period? Preferably a book by a modern author although anything will do at this point. I would like to learn more about this period, but maybe this is just all there is. I hope not though :lol:

Greetings,

Eddi van Steijn
Dutch History Student
Have you read the chapters in Simon Hornblower's Greek World?
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Not yet. Thanks for the tip. I'll check it out.
It is a really, really good book, which also uses those Athenian orators, inscriptions, et cetera, which help to give "flesh" to the "bones" of Xenophon's Hellenica, Plutarch's Agesilaus, and Diodorus.
Jona Lendering
My website
i'm also interested in the period after the Pelop. war. I read Hellenica, which gives a rather good view of the Spartan military power. I will also check out that book from Hornblower.
But Jona, are there any books of modern scholars about this period ?

kind regards,
Marc
Quote:i'm also interested in the period after the Pelop. war. ... I will also check out that book from Hornblower.
But Jona, are there any books of modern scholars about this period ?
Read Donald Kagan, The Peloponnesian War; and add Hornblower. That's really a good start.
Jona Lendering
My website
I read Donald Kagan's Pelop. War. Both his single volume and his four volume works. And I've read the Hellenica as well. But I haven't read Hornblower, I'll check him out.
Try to find a copy of Charles Hamilton's "Sparta's Bitter Victories"
Its difficult to find and pricey but it goes into some detail concerning the politics and diplomacy of the Corinthian War.
I'll look into it. Thank you Big Grin
Hi Eddi,

I too am very interested in the Corinthian War. I believe that it is the critical period in the decline of the Greek poleis.

I know of two outstanding modern books that cover the period, although both are difficult to find and expensive: Charles Hamilton's Sparta's Bitter Victories: Politics and Diplomacy in the Corinthian War and J. K. Anderson's Military Theory & Practice in the Age of Xenophon.

You may also be interested in a couple of works that detail the character and career of Agesilaus II of Sparta: Agesilaos and the Crisis of Sparta by Paul Cartledge and Agesilaus and the Failure of Spartan Hegemony by Charles Hamilton.

Good luck and enjoy!
Thank you very much. I will certainly check them out. Big Grin