Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Show your subarmalis!
Here it is on me. The bottom tie could have been tied better but you can see it has more string to tie off.
Tiberius Nemonius Agricola
Jeremy Brooks
Legio IX HISP Southern California
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org">http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org
Here my simple design, made out of an old tunic and 2 pieces of sheepskin for shoulder support. Very effective for use with a segmentata. Used it by marching with over 40 kg and worked well.

[Image: subarmalis1.jpg]
ALA I BATAVORUM
Quote:Width of the pteryges? 5 cm?

Ok, I realised this is far too wide. What'd you think of 3cm? Or 3.5?
Valete,
Titvs Statilivs Castvs - Sander Van Daele
LEG XI CPF
COH VII RAET EQ (part of LEG XI CPF)

MA in History
M. Demetrius/David wrote:
Quote:Back to the older question, since none exist, but we new they had them, it's up for anybody's guess what they really looked like.
....while none may exist, we can get some idea of what the kind worn under the 'muscled cuirass' looked like from statues - including several where they are shown draped over a branch or similar........
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
That's true, Paullus, particularly in the case of the pteryges design and type.

And that one draped over the chair IIRC, has sparked a number of arguments! Material, type, purpose, and on and on. Beware: you may arouse the ire of the argumentative....
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:M. Demetrius/David wrote:
Quote:Back to the older question, since none exist, but we new they had them, it's up for anybody's guess what they really looked like.
....while none may exist, we can get some idea of what the kind worn under the 'muscled cuirass' looked like from statues - including several where they are shown draped over a branch or similar........

Ahhh yes, the India Rubber latex one, from the !st cent AD..... :twisted:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
You're just bad, dude, baaaddd. :lol:
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Would normal (modern) thread (to sew it with) suffice? I mean, will it be strong enough?
Valete,
LEG XI CPF

MA in History
You can get linen thread from mose places, and from leather suppliers too.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Waxed linen thread lasts even longer. You can either wax it yourself by rubbing the thread over a block of beeswax, or buy it already waxed. One of the not-so-fun things about leatherwork is having to go back and restitch something later on. It's much better to use the better thread in the first place.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Yes, that is what I should have said. Although someone did recommend to rewax the ready waxed thread too.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
That would make waxedwaxed linen, right? :lol: And if you slapped it with your hand, it would be whackedwaxedwaxed...
I'll let that spindle drop, lest I be accused of waxing eloquent.
:roll:
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
It's actually to sew several layers of felt and linen, not leather... Smile
Valete,
LEG XI CPF

MA in History
Still, I think the wax will help the thread to resist moisture and deterioration, so it is still a good idea.! Smile
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Why not wax the subarmalis, and keep it waterproof as well as perhaps protect the interior of the armour? Lanolin rich fur was used inside scabbards IIRC.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!