Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Show your subarmalis!
Nice work, sander. Your putting a lot of effort into it !
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Thanks. And a lot of time. :lol:
Valete,
Titvs Statilivs Castvs - Sander Van Daele
LEG XI CPF
COH VII RAET EQ (part of LEG XI CPF)

MA in History
Nice work, both of you. I'm planning to go in the same general direction, but also plan to add an inside "pocket" over the shoulders to add in a piece of shearling sheepskin for a shoulder pad.

I fantasize that the exposed stitching will all be hand stitching, but I'm not sure I'm that brave yet. :wink: I kind of lean toward the linothorax style, too, but haven't decided that yet. Both seem reasonable choices to me.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:That padding will have a decorative extra, by which I mean there will be long shoulderpieces, like the reinforcements on a hamata or on a linothorax. Probably I'm going to sew some figure on it (not "on top of it", but the lines of the image are just the thread itself). I was thinking of an eagle on the left and a depiction of Mars on the right.

Does anyone have any good pictures on which I can base those useless but still hopefully good looking sewings? :lol:

Anyone? For "Mars", I am going to base the picture on a tribune depicted on the Domitius Ahenobardus altar (?). The eagle is proving harder to find. Otherwise maybe "SPQR" (like this) but I have heard once "spqr" was not used in military context. Is this correct?
Valete,
LEG XI CPF

MA in History
Quote:
Sandrus Castus:22kwzcdd Wrote:That padding will have a decorative extra, by which I mean there will be long shoulderpieces, like the reinforcements on a hamata or on a linothorax. Probably I'm going to sew some figure on it (not "on top of it", but the lines of the image are just the thread itself). I was thinking of an eagle on the left and a depiction of Mars on the right.

Does anyone have any good pictures on which I can base those useless but still hopefully good looking sewings? :lol:

Anyone? For "Mars", I am going to base the picture on a tribune depicted on the Domitius Ahenobardus altar (?). The eagle is proving harder to find. Otherwise maybe "SPQR" (like this) but I have heard once "spqr" was not used in military context. Is this correct?

If you put SPQR on it like that we will have to burn it at the next event :wink:
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
:oops: Just SPQR without the thingies around? Or is that as bad?
Valete,
LEG XI CPF

MA in History
I would prefer if you left it off completely. Smile It seems very 'hollywoodish' to me to put it on your chest.
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Hmm, you're right about that. But the Mars-depiction won't be a problem, aye?
Valete,
LEG XI CPF

MA in History
Decorative stiching was used by the Romans at least in the 3rd centruy AD (baldrics). I don't know if we have definite proof for earlier periods. You could off course base your stiching a bit on the decorations you can see in the sculptural art.

I would not have a problem with the Mars depiction if it's based on an original.

Vale,
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Finally, I finished the quilting. Jesus Christ, I'm glad I can do something else now. 8)

http://sander.grandtrunk.net/SandrvsCastvs
Valete,
LEG XI CPF

MA in History
Quote:Finally, I finished the quilting. Jesus Christ, I'm glad I can do something else now. 8)

but the end result is satisfying, isn't it? Well done!
ALA I BATAVORUM
It is a satisfaction, and a relief. Smile
Valete,
LEG XI CPF

MA in History
Laudes from me- and keep going!
Cheers

Caballo
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
Quote:Here is my subarmalis in progress. (At DSC) It has been tailored to fit beneath my squamata.

It is felted wool/linen construction. It will use small bronze toggle buttons of the type found at Chester (Diva) as the closure fasteners.
(unsure what colour to dye it yet!)

Hi Adrian, I am very interested about this subarmalis. Need one under my lamellar cuirass :wink: !
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
I have a question for all of you who used felt in your subarmalis . . . how does it do in the heat? I live in an area (the US Midwest) where it gets very hot and very humid in the summertime, and some wools are ok (in fact, some are great summer-wear), but some are an absolute disaster.

How does it feel, wearing multiple layers of felt around your body core?
Oisín Leathshúileach
Ben Mudd
LÃ¥ech
Fianna Cú Ruadh

An Fhírinne in aghaidh an tSaoil--Truth against the world