Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alternative History: what if?
thank you with signature maybe Confusedhock:
Solomon Azar
Looks good! Thank you, sir. If you have questions about what's on here or how to find your way around, don't hesitate to ask. There are lots of old hands here who'll be glad to show you how to find things, etc.

What is your interest in res Romani?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:Looks good! Thank you, sir. If you have questions about what's on here or how to find your way around, don't hesitate to ask. There are lots of old hands here who'll be glad to show you how to find things, etc.

What is your interest in res Romani?

roman things 8)

I respect and admire a culture and ideology built on strength and honor in character and government. in discipline of army that understand unity amongst man is key to strength. In my own life's quest to have the privilege of being a us marine infantry- i understand the wisdom and efficiency of discipline. however, discipline with the light of god is fundamental. in the creation of the new rome america-europe-etc- 21st century civilization with ancient senatorial roots and governance- it is the duty of soldiers who have battled in the highest forms of our past armies to fight for justice and stability of the most enlightened society. the strong must survive as this seems obvious. i enjoy the great deeds of man technology to give all of us the opportunity to explore our ancient ways- to find commonality between all of us- to bring a world together for all our children to do present day battles IN PEACE Smile

PAX ROMANA
Solomon Azar
Quote:Romans preventing Anglo-Saxons invading the British Isles, the Frankish tribes were drived back across the Rhine River.

England would not have become a Germanic country, and English language, British Empire, etc never existed. France who inherited its name from the Franks would probably still be called Gaul.

Anyone opinions on this alternative history?

Well, truth can be stranger than fiction. In his book 'Origins of the British' Stephen Oppenheimer states:
the ‘Anglo-Saxon invasion’ contributed only a tiny fraction to the English gene pool. In fact, three quarters of English people can trace an unbroken line of genetic descent through their parental genes from settlers arriving long before the introduction of farming.

The bottom line is, that the area we now call 'England' may have been germanic a lot earlier than even the 1st century. Genetic and linguistic studies made recently seem to support this hypothesis very strongly. This is backed up by primary sources; certainly, the Belgae and other lowland Brits are described by Caesar as looking very German, and Tacitus says they appear very different from the western tribes, and spoke a very different language. Check out this link:
http://www.bradshawfoundation.com/steph ... itish.html
R. Cornelius hadrianus, Guvnor of Homunculum, the 15mm scale Colonia. Proof that size does not matter.

R. Neil Harrison
What you are all forgetting is that in 703 there was a rebellion and the Gallic Empire came into being. This one survived attempts at reconquest and has been going strong for the last 1300 years. The side effect of this is that the US are part of the Gallic Empire and we all speak French!!
Ian (Sonic) Hughes
"I have described nothing but what I saw myself, or learned from others" - Thucydides, Peloponnesian War
"I have just jazzed mine up a little" - Spike Milligan, World War II
Um.... is that some kind of joke? There is no Gallic Empire in existence. France is where Gaul used to be, but they arent calling themselves Gallic. I'm in the US and I'm no Gaul, i'm just decended from them.
Nomen:Jared AKA "Nihon" AKA "Nihonius" AKA "Hey You"

Now with Anti-Varus protection! If your legion is lost for any reason, we will give it back! Guaranteed!

Carpe Dium
Well, sure. :lol: He just injected another "alternate" in the mix. For a second, it took me in, too, until I read the "we all speak French" part. Sly.

Now the marriage between Princess Michelle ma Belle of Mayon, and Maxwell Silverhammer of Naise, that was a real event. That union yielded, (ahem) Mayonnaise.

(Put down that dolabra! Don't kill me, please??)
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Wow, I got to look that one up. Sounds really interesting.
Nomen:Jared AKA "Nihon" AKA "Nihonius" AKA "Hey You"

Now with Anti-Varus protection! If your legion is lost for any reason, we will give it back! Guaranteed!

Carpe Dium
Quote:Well, sure. :lol: He just injected another "alternate" in the mix. For a second, it took me in, too, until I read the "we all speak French" part. Sly.

:lol: :wink:

Quote:Now the marriage between Princess Michelle ma Belle of Mayon, and Maxwell Silverhammer of Naise, that was a real event. That union yielded, (ahem) Mayonnaise.

(Put down that dolabra! Don't kill me, please??)

OK, but we demand and deserve a public apology - in triplicate!! :lol:
Ian (Sonic) Hughes
"I have described nothing but what I saw myself, or learned from others" - Thucydides, Peloponnesian War
I apologize
I apologize
I apologize

How's that?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:I apologize
I apologize
I apologize

How's that?

That will do for now: Apology accepted ...

BUT

Don't do it again!! :lol:
Ian (Sonic) Hughes
But--but, we know that marriage had to have happened, since we have mayonnaise to this day, all over the world. I rest my queso.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Hi there!,as i'm a fan of"What If" scenarios i wondered if anyone has read a jolly little Tome entitled Romanitas by Sophia McDougall,the map at the front and the"history"at the back are worth the effort alone,gods i love the notion of a Great Wall of Terranova :lol: .
Iain Victory is Mine..stewie griffin
Quote:Hi there!,as i'm a fan of"What If" scenarios i wondered if anyone has read a jolly little Tome entitled Romanitas by Sophia McDougall,the map at the front and the"history"at the back are worth the effort alone,gods i love the notion of a Great Wall of Terranova :lol: .

Yep - I bought this a while back thinking the whole concept a good idea. For the first 100 pages or so I was enthralled, as the novel combined modern with Roman, and gave explanations as to the continuity of Roman culture and possible outcomes thereof. Sadly, from then on, it became (for me) little more than a conventional modern political thriller, the only differences being Roman names and slightly different - yet modern technology. The Great Wall of Terranova - yes, a good concept - would have been more believable had it been placed along rivers and following mountain ridges, rather than being drawn arbitrarily in an almost straight diagonal line right across the North American continent, with no geographical or strategic benefit. By the middle of the book I found myself reading a moderately good thriller made tedious by the constant repetition of Roman sounding names, terms and execution methods, intended to remind us that this is a novel set in an alternative now, rather than the one we have. With different names and geographical locations, the novel could just as easily have been set in 1930's Russia, or the American South in the 18th - 19th centuries. Sorry to cast a damper!
R. Cornelius hadrianus, Guvnor of Homunculum, the 15mm scale Colonia. Proof that size does not matter.

R. Neil Harrison
Hi,Gluteus,thanks for the response,don't worry about any damper,what i wrote was pretty much tongue in cheek anyway,i quite liked the book but i would'nt go overboard about it,anyway,all"What If"is speculation and she has'nt got round to a Martian Colony(yet!),you say though,that you found it too political,er..was'nt Rome a political state,even after nearly Two Millennia would it have changed that much?,just a thought,thanks again and Wassail(as we say in the Barbaricum).
Iain Victory is Mine..stewie griffin