Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Latest Pictures Gladiators of Ars Dimicandi
Quote:During our bouts we found that aside from the lovely metal ringing noise the public hear, the gladiator wearing the helmet can also be disorientated by such a blow - especially to the faceplate.
Junkelmann also describes hits against the helmet as very effective, giving the same reason. I made the same experience. Smile

Quote:I have seen several gladiator shows, in the USA and in Europe, and I have to say that I felt Ars Dimicandi group gave the best 'historical' show I have seen.
As far as entertainment goes, and as far as the fights themselves are concerned, I can wholeheartedly second that.
But these guys also make a very good (IMO even better) "show", e.g.:

Talsker Wölfe
Talsker Wölfe I
Talsker Wölfe II
Talsker Wölfe III

That´s the question again: Why would I do all this?
As an experiment?
Or as a show?

If I were to do it as a show, but would use the label "(archaeological) experiment", how responsible would that be towards the audience? ( my question above )

I quote myself once again:
Quote:Every group that makes public displays should be aware of the fact that usually the visitors remember what they see unfiltered as factual. In that sense such displays are irresponsible towards the audience unless they are commented and the hypothetical character as well as mistakes or free interpretation of certain artefacts are explained to the audience.
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Latest Pictures Gladiators of Ars Dimicandi - by caiusbeerquitius - 10-01-2008, 11:59 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  new book by Ars Dimicandi hephestus 13 5,117 06-22-2011, 02:33 AM
Last Post: michiann
  New clip Gladiators fight by Ars Dimicandi Velite 6 3,548 12-21-2008, 10:31 PM
Last Post: Velite
  Video Ars Dimicandi Gladiators - Season 2007 hephestus 6 3,641 02-22-2008, 10:18 AM
Last Post: hephestus