Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I hate when this day comes...
...the day you have to put one of your pets to sleep. For me animals are just another part of the family, making things like this that much harder. I think it's worse too because you can't make them understand what is going on or why. I guess all you can do is reflect on how good of a life they had, and that regardless of your faith they're in a better place.

This was Oreo playing with piece of snake skin while sitting up on her hind legs.

She'll be missed!

Legion: TBD
I'm sorry you have lost your friend, Magnus. It's always sad.

We lost a good family dog last summer, so I can still feel the kind of pain you are experiencing.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
going through the same thing right now.... though we havent put her to sleep yet my American Bulldog Kaydee is in a tough spot. she broke her back Feb. 2007 and is ever so slowly recovering. I dont know if its fair to make her go through the pain of recovery (which may never be 100%, right now i'd place her at 70%)
The dog doesnt know she's broken. She still thinks she can protect us all from the bad guys and still wants to play chase. but she has a drunken swagger like Jack Sparrow and some days cant walk at all while others she can run like hell.

I dont know if i'm keeping her alive in hopes of a full recovery or if i'm just keeping her alive because i dont want to be without her :oops:
I know, that's the thing...I think we put it off because we were a bit selfish about keeping her around. I think that's also why we grieve so much, because we selfishly miss their presence.

Magnus, it's hard to lose a pet -- they're a lot better friends than most humans. I had 3 cats I'd had for years die w/ in about a month. I knwo what you're going through. You've probably seen this, but if not, maybe it will help:

[size=150:2wjq1uto]Rainbow Bridge[/size]

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...
DECIMvS MERCATIvS VARIANvS
a.k.a.: Marsh Wise
Legio IX Hispana www.legioix.org

Alteris renumera duplum de quoquo tibi numeraverunt

"A fondness for power is implanted in most men, and it is natural to abuse it when acquired." -- Alexander Hamilton

"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.... But then I repeat myself." ~Mark Twain

[img size=150]http://www.romanobritain.org/Graphics/marsh_qr1.png[/img]
(Oooh, Marshall, you cannot use an icky modern QR code, it is against all policies and rules.)
i have a few other dogs but this one stands out among them and always will. i tell people even in the condition she's in she's still more dog than most healthy ones you'll find lol

This is a situation i think about every day since the night it happened, whats the best thing to do?
but every time i decide to let her go i see some small improvement like tucking her legs up under like a normal dog does while sitting, or even wagging her tail voluntarily, not just when you rub her back.
I'll say one thing about her still being here. She's taught me a lot.
As for keeping her out of selfishness.. thats probably more truth than i would like to admit. The week before she got hurt we'd had our cat put to sleep because he'd escaped outside and was attacked by someone/thing. there was no saving him. so when a week later i saw my dog with a broken back I kinda refused to give up on her so quickly.. not when the vet kept saying "well maybe she will, maybe she wont"
......of course at the time i was 8 months pregnant and waaaaaay too emotional when it came to things like this.......
Quote:As for keeping her out of selfishness.. thats probably more truth than i would like to admit.
Maybe, but maybe you want to save the life of a friend. If a human were hurt this bad, would people be so quick to put them down? I consider myself more of a guardian for my dogs and cats...

"A fondness for power is implanted in most men, and it is natural to abuse it when acquired." -- Alexander Hamilton

"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.... But then I repeat myself." ~Mark Twain

(Oooh, Marshall, you cannot use an icky modern QR code, it is against all policies and rules.)
Quote:
Dogote:353z7rpp Wrote:As for keeping her out of selfishness.. thats probably more truth than i would like to admit.
Maybe, but maybe you want to save the life of a friend. If a human were hurt this bad, would people be so quick to put them down? I consider myself more of a guardian for my dogs and cats...
well i tell myself that too. i have a limit though lol her quality of life is still good. she still greets the day with a big bulldog grin and is ready to follow me anywhere we go. and her appetite is still great. when all of that changes for the worst.. then i think it will be time. right now i think SHE wants to be here.

btw, sorry for hijacking the thread.. but just wanted to let you know that i feel your pain
not my thread, but I think we all understand. Been there....

Thanks Marsh, that was really nice. Hopefully some truth to it.

That sucks Matt. Been there!
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Quote:I think it's worse too because you can't make them understand what is going on or why.

Animals know and feel more then we do. They are closer to nature, life and death, the circle of life and such. We think death is the end, they know death is part of live and therefore "just" another beginning...

I know it's sad and heartbreaking. But if see suffers you better set her spirit free, and let the circle be round again... See will be you thankful for that…
Trust me…
Folkert van Wijk
Celtic Auxilia, Legio II Augusta.
With a wide interrest for everything Celtic BC
That is heartbreaking. I'm an animal lover too.

But we are all fans of Rome, so maybe the idea of one wise Roman helps:

Quote:Don't be deterred from following the road where it leads: to the end of life. An end to be approached in purity, in serenity, in acceptance, in peaceful unity with what must be.

Marcus Aurelius. III,16.
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
I lost a few cats over the years.....theyare all different, but the pain is just the same.....sorry for your loss Matt.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Don't let anyone kid you, if you are an animal person the loss of a pet is as terrible as the loss of a human family member. My wife thinks of pets as pets while I think of them as individuals,friends and family. I still miss my cat that died 6 years ago and my beagle that died last year.
Juan Santell, no Roman name yet. Picking a name is very important and something that should not be done hastily or without much thought.