Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Legionary Officers and NCOs - Late Roman Army (284 - 565 AD)
Quote:I fear that the statement by Treadgold may have been a circular argument. Knowing the number of officers and assuming the number in a command, he may have deduced the number of 80 commanded by each ordinarius.

Is this the source you've sometimes mentioned for the late century being composed of 80 men? Or is there something else? It does sound a bit circular if so.
Nathan Ross
Quote:Is this the source you've sometimes mentioned for the late century being composed of 80 men? Or is there something else? It does sound a bit circular if so.
Seems to be, unfortunately. Unless there is another who actually knows the number of that regiment in Elephantine. Or we should know the number of troops commander by a centurio / ordinarius, but as that was the original debate here, I fear these papyri give us no new answers as to the numbers. So I may have to change my article, or trust Treadgold to have had more sources for that claim that he shows in his notes!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Late Roman Army during the 5th century Robert Vermaat 89 17,579 01-11-2024, 04:34 PM
Last Post: Magister_Officiorum13241
  Late Roman Army Ranks - Numeri/Limitanei jmsilvacross 14 1,857 11-17-2021, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Steven James
  Late Roman Army - seniores and iuniores Robert Vermaat 46 20,942 10-15-2020, 10:16 PM
Last Post: Steven James