Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A new book on Roman Military Equipment
The Good Dr Coulston put me onto this, and humble forelock-tuggings if it has been mentioned already (couldn't find it with a wiggle of the search facility), but the most excellent Ernst Künzl has a new book on the way from Schnell and Steiner entitled Unter den goldenen Adlern (which is presumably a risky place to be, to judge by the seagulls in Berwick-upon-Tweed...). Yes, I know it's in German; either learn it or persuade someone to publish it in English (it worked with Michel Feugère's book). Failing that, just look at the pictures...

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
I moved this excellent information to the proper section.

Added: information from the publisher:

Ernst Künzl
Unter den goldenen Adlern. Der Waffenschmuck des römischen Imperiums
1. Aufl. 2008
160 S., über 150 meist frabige Abb., Karten
ISBN: 978-3-7954-2011-6
24,90 Euro/ 44,90 SFr

Griechen und Römer des Altertums dekorierten ihre Waffen mit Motiven und Zeichen, die Sieg und Glück verheißen sollten. Einige Teile der Ausrüstung wie Feldzeichen und die Aufmachung der hohen Offiziere waren festgelegt, beim Waffenschmuck jedoch ließ man den Soldaten einen großen Freiraum. Auf den Waffen findet man deshalb Zeichen vielfältiger religiöser und politischer Strömungen. Sogar die Tagespolitik hinterließ ihre Spuren.
Reich illustriert, bietet dieses Sachbuch spannende wie authentische Eindrücke in den Alltag der römischen Legionen.

[Image: 51uFULjAAlL._SS500_.jpg]
Hmm, I know those images from somewhere... :wink:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
In case you were wondering, like I was, the title means Under the golden eagles. The weapon decoration of the Roman empire. Apparently it has lots of nice pics.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Better get a review copy for Ancient Warfare! Thanks for the tip-off Mike!
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
I ordered this one last week Big Grin
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Just ordered it from amazon.de Big Grin !
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Let us know what its like? Working out whether to get a copy, or whether it would be duplication.....
Cheers

Caballo
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
Does anyone know if it has good late Roman coverage. I find many of these books follow the mainstream Roman era....ie Republic to Marcus Aurelius....
Markus Aurelius Montanvs
What we do in life Echoes in Eternity

Roman Artifacts
[Image: websitepic.jpg]
Looks like I really do have a good reason to brush up on my German reading skills.
John Baker

Justice is the constant and perpetual wish to render to every one his due.
- Institutes, bk. I, ch. I, para. I
Got it!

Lots of coulour photographs of decorations on helmets and weapons etc. Reconstruction pics by Connolly (the old ones). I just wish my skills in german lanquage were better. In short veery interesting Big Grin !
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
I only had a chance to quickly browse through the book but it looks a lot better than I expected.

Very interesting stuff, and featuring an aspect of military equipment that hasn't been written about very much.
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  20th Roman Military Equipment Conference (ROMEC XX) in Cologne Eleatic Guest 0 959 06-22-2019, 10:05 AM
Last Post: Eleatic Guest
  Journal of Roman Military Equipment Studies vol 11 Thomas Aagaard 4 3,751 05-09-2017, 08:27 AM
Last Post: Julian Parthicus
  New Book on Roman "Parade" Equipment jho 4 2,859 11-26-2015, 11:54 AM
Last Post: Virilis