Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Rise of Civilization
OK. We are not animals. But what makes us human beings? What is the root of our civilization? A German scientist named Josef Reichholf has finally found the answer and published it in his book Warum die Menschen Sesshaft Wurden. The answer is: beer.

It has always been accepted that humankind started as gatherers, more or less like several primates, slowly learning to use tools (again, like several primates) and becoming hunters. Reichholf now proves that almost immediately after the last Ice Age, the switch to agriculture -and the root of all civilization- was not caused by the fact that this is a more productive mode of production (this was already questioned in the 1970s); the real reason why human beings became sedentary farmers, is because they had discovered how to make beer of barley and mushrooms.

An interview with Reichholf is here. Somehow the Greeks were right when they attributed the creation of civilization ot the god of drunkenness, Dionysus.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
That makes me an uncivilised animal. :lol:
Valete,
Titvs Statilivs Castvs - Sander Van Daele
LEG XI CPF
COH VII RAET EQ (part of LEG XI CPF)

MA in History
Give it time, Sandrvs, civilization will become more appealing to you...
:lol:
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
A hymn from the mist of time summing the totality of humanity's rise to civilization:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPLutvB_ ... re=related

Izard, R.
Quote:A hymn from the mist of time summing the totality of humanity's rise to civilization:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPLutvB_ ... re=related
Which reminds me of a great Monty Python song.
Jona Lendering
My website
You mean we non-drinkers are uncivilized? I have a sudden urge to paint myself with woad or go sack Rome.

I wish I could read German! One limit to that theory is that it doesn't explain why various New World peoples invented agriculture but not alcohol. The customary drug over here tended to be tobacco or chocolate.
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.
Quote:One limit to that theory is that it doesn't explain why various New World peoples invented agriculture but not alcohol.
Good point!
Jona Lendering
My website
Quote:You mean we non-drinkers are uncivilized? I have a sudden urge to paint myself with woad or go sack Rome.

I wish I could read German! One limit to that theory is that it doesn't explain why various New World peoples invented agriculture but not alcohol. The customary drug over here tended to be tobacco or chocolate.

One theory is that agriculture was developed in the Andes to grow bottle gourds for carrying drinks.
Der Kessel ist voll Bärks!

Volker Bach
Very interesting...

I remember reading somewhere (and now I can not recall where :oops: ) that the Romans considered barbarians those who drank their wine 'neat.'

And speaking of wine, just about time for the canon to sound retreat -- time for a glass of wine.

Cheers!

:wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Quote:... that the Romans considered barbarians those who drank their wine 'neat.'

And speaking of wine, -- time for a glass of wine.

Narukami

Barbarian

Ralph
I would be guilty as charged, except...

I did add an ice cube to the glass.

Now some connoisseurs of the grape would consider that sacrilege, but clearly not my good Roman friends.

Hail Caesar!

:wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Quote: Somehow the Greeks were right when they attributed the creation of civilization ot the god of drunkenness, Dionysus.

It's funny how, somehow, the Greeks are always right! :wink: :lol:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:The answer is: beer.
LOL ... I always thought it was the reason for the decline of civilisation.

Quote:
Sean Manning:2geloa96 Wrote:One limit to that theory is that it doesn't explain why various New World peoples invented agriculture but not alcohol.
Good point!
As I understand Reichholf from the interview (and I haven't read the book) he says that "[...] Alkohol oder Rauchdrogen waren die Mittel.", meaning alcohol or drugs that could be smoked (tabacco).
Seems Reichholf believes in the hedonist nature of man. :lol:
[size=85:2j3qgc52]- Carsten -[/size]
Quote:You mean we non-drinkers are uncivilized? I have a sudden urge to paint myself with woad or go sack Rome.

They didn't need alchohol, they had a wide variety of halucinogenic and narcotic substances to play with..... :lol:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Thanks for the translation, Tiberius!

Quote:
Sean Manning:2gjh0f08 Wrote:You mean we non-drinkers are uncivilized? I have a sudden urge to paint myself with woad or go sack Rome.

They didn't need alchohol, they had a wide variety of halucinogenic and narcotic substances to play with..... :lol:
But do those drugs require the sort of heavy equipment that brewing does? (You need big pots or barrels or other containers, plus a heavy weight of whatever crop you are fermenting, which nomads can't carry around). Pre-agricultural peoples often encourage certain plants to grow, and come by at the right time of year to harvest them.
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.