Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brazing iron
Hello

For brazing iron, what's the solder liquid or product to clean and avoid the heat oxidation? I have tried to use borax, but it don't works very fine. I know there are some flux products that even cleans the little oxidation.

Thanks!
In a welding class, we used borax. Be sure you have brightened the surfaces with vinegar, or abrasive before you start...that will take care of the existing oxidation, then dip the parts in borax (the kind used in laundry is just as good as the welding shop sort, and considerably cheaper). The borax should get hot and flow (flux!) just about the time the metals fuse.

Make sure the heat is high enough, and that your flame isn't an oxidizing mix.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Yes, Borax works quite well. You could also use the flux used for "silver soldering" since it can take the high temps required for brazing too.

What won't work are fluxes designed for tinning, or lead soldering. They evaporate too quickly at the temps needed for brazing.

One final note, in the States we have two very confusing products "Borax" and "Boraxo". The first is the "real deal", it's simply processed rock sold in the grocery stores to help soften water and clean clothes easier. The latter is actually a soap power that has very little borax in it. Borax will work, Boraxo will not! Double check to make sure the problem isn't from something like that.
[Image: dirttagline.jpg]
Gobae - The Blacksmith
aka Dan Crowther
Ancient Celtic Clans
Re: Living History Blog
Tried finding some today, but only found lead free solder and solder flux....good luck Cesar! ([size=75:mqcmqoby]couldn't find the lead free solder when I was actually looking for that though... :roll: [/size])
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Did you look in the detergent section of a grocery store? (At least that's where they put it in the US) The main brand here is called "20 Mule Team Borax", hearkening back to the days of hauling it out of the desert mines by mule team. 20 mules, a water wagon, and a mineral wagon. Must have been tough times, no kidding. Two wagoneers, generally, one to drive the team, one to keep watch with a rifle.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
No, haven't, will do.
Riding shotgun....always the first guy to get it in the movies..
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Well, of course. If you take out the guard, you have an easier time of capturing the wagon, right?

"Throw down the strongbox!"
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.