Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Legionaries Vs. Medieval Heavy infantry
Quote:The Romans under Caesar met the period equivalent of Medieval armored warriors merely broke out the Dolarba knocked them over and beat them to death as they lay on the ground. Tactics discipline and flexibility over individual bravery and armor every time.
The Romans would have poles and dolabrae, but the dismounted men-at-arms would have axes (example) and lances and more practice using them. Taking on a few thousand elite warriors wearing full armour in close formation does not seem a trifle to me.

Other types of medieval infantry would be more like what the Romans were used to fighting, although often a bit better armed and less manoeuvrable than usual. The medieval army's cavalry would probably force the Romans into close order, so the fighting styles and armament on both sides would be quite similar. The outcome would be as likely to be determined by terrain and which side was better fed and less sick that morning as the differences between the two armies.
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Roman Legionaries Vs. Medieval Heavy infantry - by Dogote - 10-17-2008, 01:19 PM
Re: Roman Legionaries Vs. Medieval Heavy infantry - by Dogote - 10-17-2008, 03:33 PM
Re: Roman Legionaries Vs. Medieval Heavy infantry - by Sean Manning - 06-22-2013, 04:46 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hoplites at War: A Comprehensive Analysis of Heavy Infantry Williamhawk 1 6,566 01-25-2018, 02:12 AM
Last Post: Paul Bardunias