Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Celtic Revival"Torcs
Wassail!,this is more in the style of a question really but i'm currently researching into whever a Germanic Warrior of the late 4th Century C.E would have worn a so called Celtic Revival neck Torc of the same date,very"Iron Age"in style but,of all things,cast in Pewter,if anyone has any ideas about this i'd very much like to continue a discussion on the topic,Many Thanks.
Iain Victory is Mine..stewie griffin
Quote:Wassail!,this is more in the style of a question really but i'm currently researching into whever a Germanic Warrior of the late 4th Century C.E would have worn a so called Celtic Revival neck Torc of the same date,very"Iron Age"in style but,of all things,cast in Pewter,if anyone has any ideas about this i'd very much like to continue a discussion on the topic,Many Thanks.
Hi there, ioannes. I think that this is a totally feasable idea! Celts and Germanic peoples, especially those in Denmark, seem to have shared good trade relations. The Guldestrup Cauldron is a good example I think (even though it may not be a traded item, it certainly shares cultural influences). I think that torcs were gradually beginning to disappear around this time and were out of fashion in the high Migration Era. The only thing I'm unsure about is the use of pewter. I'm not saying that this would be incorrect for the period, I'm simply saying that I don't know. Big Grin How long have people been casting pewter?
Wassail Kingolaf!,Many Thanks Indeed for the reply,you've certainly helped ease my mind on this subject.As for Pewter,it was commonly used in the Diocese of the Britains during the 4th Century as a cheaper substitute for Silver,the Torc in question being hinged at the back to prevent it breaking,hope to continue this if possible as i love things Germanic,oh!by the way,have you sorted out your Signature yet?,it's a RAT Rule,all the best,Ioannes.
Iain Victory is Mine..stewie griffin
Quote:I'm not saying that this would be incorrect for the period, I'm simply saying that I don't know. How long have people been casting pewter?

LOTS of Roman pewter finds in the British Museum. :wink:
Hello Olaf,

Please enter your real name into your signature. It's a forum rule.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:Hello Olaf,

Please enter your real name into your signature. It's a forum rule.
I apologize! I guess I hadn't read the rules very thoroughly Big Grin Oops. Is it acceptable now? Or have I done it wrong again?
Seems fine to me. :wink:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)