Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Corinthians with plumes
I just happened upon this image off a vase found at Athens dating to about 510 BC which shows great plumes afixed to the helm.
Paul M. Bardunias
MODERATOR: [url:2dqwu8yc]http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
A Spartan, being asked a question, answered "No." And when the questioner said, "You lie," the Spartan said, "You see, then, that it is stupid of you to ask questions to which you already know the answer!"
It could be just a Hoplite Rabbit, you know. :lol:
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Are you sure that this is a plume? To me it looks as if it could be a Feather as well, but a plume would be very exotic (to me).
But it looks indeed interesting!
Thanks for sharing.
Kind regards
Strategos
Strategos
(Willi Miesen)

Athenian Hoplite
[url=http://www.hetairoi.de]
Side-Feathers, while generally considered typically Italian, appear on a number of helmets from Classical times through Macedonian in an unmistakeably Greek context too....I know of several examples.....
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
Certainly, and thems definately feathers... Smile
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Side-Feathers, while generally considered typically Italian, appear on a number of helmets from Classical times through Macedonian in an unmistakeably Greek context too....I know of several examples.....

I found a bunch as well from around 500-550 at Athens. I had thought, as you say that they were associated with Magna Grecia at this date and in Greece appear later. You learn something new everyday.

I think they are feathers as well, I should not have called them plumes.
Paul M. Bardunias
MODERATOR: [url:2dqwu8yc]http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
A Spartan, being asked a question, answered "No." And when the questioner said, "You lie," the Spartan said, "You see, then, that it is stupid of you to ask questions to which you already know the answer!"
Quote:
Quote:Side-Feathers, while generally considered typically Italian, appear on a number of helmets from Classical times through Macedonian in an unmistakeably Greek context too....I know of several examples.....

I found a bunch as well from around 500-550 at Athens. I had thought, as you say that they were associated with Magna Grecia at this date and in Greece appear later. You learn something new everyday.

I think they are feathers as well, I should not have called them plumes.

In Macedonian contexts they seem to have been a marker of officers, and can be seen in many different sources.
Ruben

He had with him the selfsame rifle you see with him now, all mounted in german silver and the name that he\'d give it set with silver wire under the checkpiece in latin: Et In Arcadia Ego. Common enough for a man to name his gun. His is the first and only ever I seen with an inscription from the classics. - Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian
From Peseus image base:
http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/im ... 90.05.0426

Though dated by the university roughly 520 B.C Ihave seen datings
up to 490 B.C.
It might be then the Dioscouroi crushing the Argive king -alegory for the battle of Sepeia.

Kind regards
Quote:In Macedonian contexts they seem to have been a marker of officers, and can be seen in many different sources.
Nice tidbit of information to have. If a slight off-topic moment is not minded, what about other decorations such as horns for officers?