Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Neptune Images on coins or elsewhere
Does anyone have any picutres, photos, or images of neptune from the 1st century AD.

I would prefer coin images but other images from elsewhere would also be appreciated so long as they are from the 1st century period not copies that were made hundreds of years later.

Thanks
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
Not from a coin I'm afraid, but this image of Neptune and Amphitrite from Herculaneum dates from, at the very latest, 79 AD.

[Image: 141ia9c.jpg]
R. Cornelius hadrianus, Guvnor of Homunculum, the 15mm scale Colonia. Proof that size does not matter.

R. Neil Harrison
Neil,

Thanks for the quick reply. I thought you guys were sleeping. It is after all quite early there.

Would you happen to have a much larger pic since I cannot see any details in the one you posted

Thanks
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
There is an image (early 2nd C. of course) on the bottom spiral of Trajan's column. Ther may be others as well further up in the scenes depicting the many river crossings.
P. Clodius Secundus (Randi Richert), Legio III Cyrenaica
"Caesar\'s Conquerors"
Randi,

Would you happen to have a picture of it? I have seen several scenes of Trajan's Column but was not aware of this particular scene. Thanks for letting me know.

Paolo
I haven't been able to find a picture of the Neptune rising on Trajan's. It is is on Spiral #1, Plate C in the cartoons section of the Stoa.org/McManus website. A google for Trajan's Column will get you there. They don't have a photo but there is a cartoon, or rather a line drawing of the image. Perhaps someone on the Forum can hook you up with a specific photo. I also came across this on the McManus site it supposedly from Ostia. I'll keep looking for more.
"Caesar\'s Conquerors"
Also found this, Pompeii or Herculaneum I believe. That would put it in your timeframe or earlier.
"Caesar\'s Conquerors"
Salve!!!!
Hello This is the Neptune that Faventianvs Mother, painting in my shield
It’s based in one mosaic from tunisia.
Valete.
QUIM RÍPODAS
LEGIO PRIMA GERMANICA/SEPTIMANI SENIORES
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.primagermanica.com">http://www.primagermanica.com