Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
image of Roman Godess Disciplina
Hello - I am looking to find an image of this Roman Godess and since she was worshipped by the legions in the later part of the empire thought this would be a good place to start - have seen a few coins from Britain with Hadrian's image on it refering to her but was hoping to find an actual depiction of her image if one even exists -thanks for any help
hello people. I am looking exactly for the same thing - the picture of the roman goddes Disciplina. Has anybody already found out where is some picture of her?

Isn´t it probably the woman head on Hadrian´s chest on this photo http://www.livius.org/a/1/emperors/ital ... la_mus.JPG please?

Thank a lot for you help.

Martin from Slovakia.
Quote:hello people. I am looking exactly for the same thing - the picture of the roman goddes Disciplina. Has anybody already found out where is some picture of her?

Isn´t it probably the woman head on Hadrian´s chest on this photo http://www.livius.org/a/1/emperors/ital ... la_mus.JPG please?

Disciplina (or Discipulina), like Concordia, is one of those concepts that doesn't really get depicted (unlike the ubiquitous Victoria), so far as I know. Modern scholars think they are usually invoked in a healing role (so invocations to Discip(u)lina imply an absence of discipline, Concordia an absence of harmony between army units).

There is no evidence that the head on Hadrian's breastplate was Discip(u)lina - Thorsten Opper's catalogue of the Hadrian exhibition suggests a similar female head on a bust of Hadrian from the villa of Herodes Atticus may in fact be Antinous, rather than the more usual Gorgon that is found in such a position. The Seville example looks like Hadrian's mum on a bad hair day!

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
With the wings, it looks like victory? Niki?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  background image in \"ROMAN ARMY TALK\" Xavi 10 2,158 08-20-2014, 06:15 PM
Last Post: Xavi
  Disciplina Christian 2 1,222 07-07-2009, 09:52 PM
Last Post: Lucius Rabirius