Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
any information regarding this Pilos helm
really keen on this helm ,i beleive its 4th. cent BC , western med. area , does anyone have any futher info. please [Image: nysai8.jpg] [Image: 28rflgw.jpg] [Image: yfnkg.jpg]
Hannibal ad portas ! Dave Bartlett . " War produces many stories of fiction , some of which are told until they are believed to be true." U S Grant
This one comes from private collection.
Same helmet appears on a Macedonian coin at Nemea museum same period.
Probably officer's item.

Kind regards
Quote:This one comes from private collection.
Same helmet appears on a Macedonian coin at Nemea museum same period.
Probably officer's item.

Kind regards
Thank you , do you have an image of the Coin . i found this helm here http://www.freewebtown.com/italica/ital ... nical.html . I also have these images of another example ,shows the neck guard attachment & shape nicely [Image: fzagt5.jpg] [Image: 16knx3.jpg] [Image: igcghx.jpg] Officers or anyone wealthy enough to afford one i hope as i have a reconstruction in bronze being made. :lol: cheers dave
Hannibal ad portas ! Dave Bartlett . " War produces many stories of fiction , some of which are told until they are believed to be true." U S Grant
I see they didn't find the plain pilos adequate either.
But cheaper to modify that have a coritnian made...
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Here are two of my favorites.
Paul M. Bardunias
MODERATOR: [url:2dqwu8yc]http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
A Spartan, being asked a question, answered "No." And when the questioner said, "You lie," the Spartan said, "You see, then, that it is stupid of you to ask questions to which you already know the answer!"
The look good. i just can't help feeling they would have been quite easy to dislodge in a scrum, but i suppose they were secured quite well.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
there an interesting bunch for sure these helms would have been reworked to death :wink: i hope we see more being used in impressions 8) ,the coiled retainers. Plume or feather or both ? , & a horse hair plume could be attached to the ring on top too . [Image: nysai8.jpg]
The image I posted about previously.
Enjoy
This helmet is almost certainly southern Italian, where such spring-like crest attachments are commonly found.
Ruben

He had with him the selfsame rifle you see with him now, all mounted in german silver and the name that he\'d give it set with silver wire under the checkpiece in latin: Et In Arcadia Ego. Common enough for a man to name his gun. His is the first and only ever I seen with an inscription from the classics. - Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian
Here is another example of a South Italic 'Pilos' type helmet, late 4th - 3rd C B.C. .... this one was formerly part of the well-known Axel Guttman collection....
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
Wow ! Confusedhock: i reckon thats the winner . would helms of this type perhaps been used in Sicily by the Greek /Punic Colonist fighting there in the 4th. cent. BC.
There are evidently few Pilos helms from Italy where we can be sure of the location of their finding. I came across this map that might be useful. Perhaps not suprisingly many locations surround Taras, Sparta's Italian colony.
Paul M. Bardunias
MODERATOR: [url:2dqwu8yc]http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
A Spartan, being asked a question, answered "No." And when the questioner said, "You lie," the Spartan said, "You see, then, that it is stupid of you to ask questions to which you already know the answer!"
thanks Paul Big Grin ,i have seem those maps. Im figuring there would have been a healthy arms trade , & yes given the pilos is a Spartan favorate it is strange so few finds around Taras . I feel these would have been in use in southern Italy (atleast) ,Sicily (with the colonists) & perhaps Eturia & Carthage

ALSO can anyone Help me with scanning & emailing or post to me the pages from the WRG Maco & punic wars Duncan Head ,big ask I Know :oops: .the roman & punic section please. My copy was Borrowed & not returned years ago :roll: cheers dave