Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Going to Brussels - need some advice!
Hi there!

I will travel to Brussels and be there between 27-30.11.2008. I would like to know if there are any good museums containing roman stuff? Also are there any RAT-members living in / near Brussels, perhaps we could have a pint together?

Cheers,
Jyrki
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Hi Jyrki,

I'm away to the RAT congress in Mainz at that date so alas I can't meet up with you.

There is a museum in Brussels that has got ancient art and archaeology, including a Roman collection. This is the Jubelparkmuseum. The adress is:

Jubelparkmuseum
Jubelpark 10
1000 Brussel
+ 32 (0)2 741 72 11
+ 32 (0)2 733 77 35 (fax)

The website is:
http://www.kmkg-mrah.be/newnl/index.asp?id=529 (in dutch)
http://www.kmkg-mrah.be/newfr/index.asp?id=507 (in french)

Hope you have a good time!

Vale,
Jef
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Thanks Jef Big Grin !!
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
Hi Jyrki,

When visiting the Jubelparkmusea (officialy called Musea of Art and History), don't forget to take a look at the awsome maquette of the city of Rome in ancient times! It is tucked away in a seperate room, so easy to miss.

Apart from that the collection of the digs in Apamea (winterbase of Legio II Parthica) is a plus too.

@ Jeff, I thought the RAT-conference was a week earlier (22-23 nov) than the date Jyrki is visiting Brussels (27-30 nov).

Greets,

Hans
Flandria me genuit, tenet nunc Roma
Hans, you are right.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Darned, I'll miss it totally....
Still, will get there one day.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Just got back from Brussels! A fun trip with too much beer Big Grin wink: ! Just wondering who the guy with the flashlight is...

What was the most impressing part was the head / bust of Gallienus. The expression of this underrated emperor is very striking, you can almost see in his face that the empire is on the verge of total collapse :roll: ...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
Here he is, for those who have never seen that bust:
[Image: gallienus_kmkg.jpg]
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Thanks Jona Big Grin ! I think Russell Crowe could do the part as Gallienus. This truly is a portrait of a worried man...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
Very much so!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel