Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1st C AD general\'s lorica
I know I'm posting this in the reenactment and reconstruction section, but I suspect more people with knowledge will read it here.

I'm in the final stages of modelling and skinning the Roman army for a modification of the game Rome Total War, and our aim in this has been to create the most accurate and visually satisfying Roman army we can.

Here's a screenshot of units in game:

Auxiliary cavalry:
[Image: romancav1cq4.jpg]

and one of the Imperial Gallic helmets:

[Image: gallichelmetnm6.jpg]

What I'm wanting to find out, and apologies if this has already been discussed, is how best to depict a general's lorica musculata such as those shown on the statues of Julius Caesar or Augustus (Prima Porta). Should they be silvered bronze with bronze decorations or bronze with silvered decorations or even leather?

For example the Prima Porta lorica:

[Image: primaportadet6azh4.jpg]
Tony
Modeller and skinner for Roma Surrectum, a mod for Rome Total War
Omg, are those RS 2.0 units in that first shot? :lol:
Valete,
Titvs Statilivs Castvs - Sander Van Daele
LEG XI CPF
COH VII RAET EQ (part of LEG XI CPF)

MA in History
I would go with Silvered / gilt decorations over a polished bronze colour myself ....

Also you might want to mod the Gallic G helm a bit..... raise the neck guard height & take out one of the ridges - should only be 3

However the pics look really great apart !
Adam Rudling
The Vicus - recreating life in 1st Century Britain
Thanks, that's what I'll go for then - tinned/silvered over bronze.

Oh and any thoughts about the colour of the tongue pteryges? I'm going for dark red with bronze / gilt decorations on. The main pteryges will be white with gold tassles.

Those are indeed one of the aux cavalry Alae for RS2
Tony
Which will be available when? Smile
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
As soon as we can. Literally working day and night to get this thing finished. Apart from one guy who's done all the gladii, there's only me modelling and one other skinning.

There are very few units left to skin now, which is great news.

The Romans won't disappoint, we can promise that.
Tony
I would suggest that the musculata such as you have shown ie the Prima Porta, is not the type for an officer or a general to wear. The type you would require is a short Cuirass that can be worn on horse back, The Prima Porta and most other Imperial types are too long with the abdominal area extended down preventing the wearer from seating a horse. Decorative yes but more practical for the soldier in the field.
Brian Stobbs
There is also another Mod to the Helmet, that is to remove the hook at the back of the bowl for the "G"does not have one there.
Brian Stobbs
Hmmmm, the one I have does! :?

Funny, just looked at the data base, and the worms helmet does not,
I wonder what this copy was based on.....my deepeeka one that is.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Who cares. A) It's a video game with pretty amazing realism as it is. B) Who cares...it's a bloody hook.

Legion: TBD
Actually Matt, I am thinking about the deepeeka copy, not the game.
It's an interesting note that is slightly OT, but the helmet we all oooo'd and awed about, actually only seems to have one hook.

Not really a reflection on the game, except a point of accuracy, just as valid as the one about the number of ridges. Perhaps we should just not worry about realism at all?

As to who cares? Probably the guys who have spent so much time developing these amazing mods! :?:
But then again, perhaps they didn't really care about authenticity at all when they started developing the mods for RTW. Thats why the game is exactly the same as the original vanilla version? :? wink:
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Any thoughts about the sword?
Maybe an eagle headed pommel or a gladius or spatha?
Tony
Worrying about a tiny hook that is found or not found on one model of helmet when there is only one found type is going overboard. Everyone needs to relax their authenticity sphincters now and then.

It's a video game that has gone above and beyond, and yet people still nitpick on silly things.

It would just be nice if people gave it a rest for once.

Legion: TBD
er actually Matt I'm glad Brian brought up the hook thing 'cos I've just been modding my 'new improved' Deepeeka Gallic G & was thinking exactly the same :wink:

Also technically a valid point on the cuirass length too .... long ones hurt when sitting on a chair let alone a horse Confusedhock:

However you are right its not the end of the world !

Back to the questions though, I'd like to see an Eagle headed type - but honsetly not too sure when / if they where used. The only ones seem to be on high ranking officer type statues though.

ps Chill pill taken .... 8)
Adam Rudling
The Vicus - recreating life in 1st Century Britain
Thanks, I'll go ahead with doing an Eagle headed one, it seems there's one tucked into an officers belt on Trajan's column. This piece here is my template for it:

http://www.romanofficer.com/pages/short_roman_sword.htm

Once we've done our Roman preview (at the moment we're keeping them under wraps), I'll post some shots here.
Tony