Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New roman city found in Badajoz "Contributa Iulia"
Hi all!

Very good news!! Another exciting discovery!!!

an archeological excavation has been started near Medina de las Torres, in Badajoz province. There has been found a whole city, "Contributa Iulia" (over 20 ha surface). By now there has been found a part of the wall, and one of the gates to the city. The excavations are still going on so I will tell you more if I find more info and pics. The reason for this excavation was little discoveries in XIX century.

Do you remember the discovery of the roman theatre in Metellinum? I told you some time ago... new statues have been found in there during the excavations of the theatre. I'll try to look for the pics and post it Big Grin
Javier Sánchez

"A tomb now suffices him for whom the whole world was not sufficient"
[Image: 76946975ce3.png]
A Roman city? That is amazing. I will need to look up the location of this place!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Google Earth coordinates??
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Here is a picture of one of the discoveries from XIX century. Just now it can be seen in the Archeological Museum of Badajoz:

[Image: historia3.jpg]

And you can see some images of the actual excavations here (go to minute 17):

[url:2okd4t6x]http://tv.canalextremadura.es/tv-a-la-carta/videos/extremadura2030-7-de-noviembre[/url]

about the location:

[url:2okd4t6x]http://maps.google.es/maps?q=medina+de+las+torres&ie=UTF8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&ll=38.691941,-6.113892&spn=0.977549,1.768799&t=h&z=9[/url]

as you can see is at the south of Mérida, and near the A-66 Highway, that in roman times was the Silver Way from Asturica to Hispalis. Archeologists say that this discovery could took more than 20 years of excavations.
Javier Sánchez

About Metellinum, if the expectations are fulfilled, and new sculptures or architectural elements continue appearing, the authorities are thinking seriously about the possibility of rebuild the Roman Theatre as it was done previously in Merida, in fact these expectations seems to be much better than in the case of Merida because marble and stone pieces didn't suffer the pillage of later civilizations
Javier Sánchez

Please post more about this city and about Metellinum theater!
Multi viri et feminae philosophiam antiquam conservant.

James S.
Hi James, thanks for your interest! Big Grin

The roman city is placed 2km away from the village Medina de las Torres, built over an old celtic oppidum. It was named by Plinius and also by Ptolemy. The complete name of the city is Contributa Iulia Ugultunia.

Ugultunia was in the middle of an old natural region called Baeturia in classic texts, between the rivers Anas (Guadiana) y Baetis (Guadalquivir). It was populated by the Turdulos at the east and the Celts at the west part, being the Silver Way the frontier between these people.

The rest of the name, Contributa Iulia, tells us that is was a caesarean town (Iulia), and Contributa tells us about puting on dispersed population. Plinius said it was usual to give three roman names to cities in Baetica province, also in the main celtic oppida in Baeturia.

The city reached the municipal rank thanks to Vespasian and his Latinity Edict. We dont know almos anithing of the city during the late empire, but it is mentioned in the Ravenna's anonymous (from VII century). During the visigothic and islamic period we don't have any information of the city.

After the muslim invasion, in the early Middle Age, a new village (The actual Medina de las Torres) is founded by muslims two km away from the old roman-visigothic urban core (in decadence). The new town was important enough to have its own castle, and also all competences about territory, so finally Contributa was abandoned in VIII century or maybe earlier, wich is quite possible. The rests that have been found tells us that is was popultated from I century a.c to VI century b.c.

about the excavations in Metellinum, the most important discoveries once uncovered are taken quickly to the church by the archeologists, so we must wait a bit before seeing these statues and columns.
Javier Sánchez

About Metellinum, some vids of the excavation:

[url:21m1w3z1]http://video.msn.com/video.aspx?mkt=es-ES&vid=999bae4d-de8a-42b8-85f9-29dd6b3608c8[/url]

[url:21m1w3z1]http://video.msn.com/video.aspx?mkt=es-ES&vid=76e98ef2-df04-4c17-bfde-b9840d2cc469[/url]
Javier Sánchez

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  "Lost" City of Altinum Found Near Venice Narukami 4 3,048 09-21-2009, 11:39 AM
Last Post: PhilusEstilius