Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RAT conference program
Here's a proposed program for the RAT conference next week.
Friday Nov 21:
- 12-1.30 PM: Meetup at Mainz HBf restaurant: Hans, Jona & Jasper
- 1.30 PM - 6 PM: Visit to Bad Kreuznach / Wiesbaden (Jeroen & Jurjen join?)
- 6 PM: Meetup at the Ibis Hotel: Christian and Andreas
- Evening: libations & dinner. Svenja, Jef's group arrive(?)
Saturday Nov 22:
- 9.30 AM: Svenja, Gladiators as Soldiers (25-30 mins lecture, 15 mins questions)
- 10.15 AM: Jona, The Roman History of Mainz
- 11 AM: Hans, Praetorians in Mainz
- 11.45-1.30 PM: Lunch
- Afternoon: City tour with Roman monuments in Mainz, ending at the Romisch-Germanisches Zentralmuseum
- Evening: drinks & dinner
Sunday Nov 22:
- 9.30 AM: Christian, tba
- 10.15 AM: Jasper, Legionaries afloat
- 11 AM: Visit to the Museum of Ancient Shipping
- 1.30-2.30 PM: Lunch
- 2.30PM: End of official program. Tearful goodbyes and promises of a new conference in 2009.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
What? No drinks on friday evening? Only saturday? :evil:
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Forgot: Can someone bring a beamer?
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Looks very promising. Really looking forward to it!
(but tonight first a little show at the Valkhof museum Big Grin )
ALA I BATAVORUM
Thanks Jasper for the program. Looking forward to meeting you all.

Till then,

Hans
Flandria me genuit, tenet nunc Roma
Quote:Forgot: Can someone bring a beamer?
Yes; I'll bring it.

Jona
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Looks very good! Big Grin
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
What about Saturday evening dinner? Did we decide on a place (I had posted in the other thread a link to restaurants, wine bars etc. in Mainz)? If not who's taking care of the booking which I would recommend? I would do it if you let me know where and how many people.
Quote:What about Saturday evening dinner? Did we decide on a place (I had posted in the other thread a link to restaurants, wine bars etc. in Mainz)? If not who's taking care of the booking which I would recommend? I would do it if you let me know where and how many people.

I may be wrong, but the following people are probably there:

From Holland: Jasper Oorthuys, Jurjen Draaisma, Jeroen Pelgrom, Jona Lendering

From Germany: Svenja Grosser, Andreas Raab, Christian Koepfer, Thomas Roscher

From Belgium: Hans van Lierde + eight people from Legio XI, who have a different hotel but join our dinners

That's 17 people; I may have missed one or two people - I was in Syria and have not seen my bank account recently.
Jona Lendering
My website
Quote:From Holland: Jasper Oorthuys, Jurjen Draaisma, Jeroen Pelgrom, Jona Lendering.

Jasper, Jurjen, Jeroen and Jona. Hmm. Some people would see a conspiracy there... Big Grin
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:
Jona Lendering:xrtg6lrs Wrote:From Holland: Jasper Oorthuys, Jurjen Draaisma, Jeroen Pelgrom, Jona Lendering.

Jasper, Jurjen, Jeroen and Jona. Hmm. Some people would see a conspiracy there... Big Grin
Yep; only people named Jan, Jos, Jaromir et cetera can now join the Dutch delegation. :wink:
Jona Lendering
My website
So perhaps Jurgen (member of Legio XI) and me have infiltrated the Flemish contingent 8)
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Cool programme. I wish I had time! Sad

Quote:Friday Nov 21:
- 1.30 PM - 6 PM: Visit to Bad Kreuznach

Could you do me a favour? If you visit the Römerhalle in the Hüffelsheimer Str. 11 in Bad Kreuznach, could you make a good shot with high resolution of the famous Oceanus mosaic? One a total pic like this, and the other a close-up of the boat with the two mariners at 3:30, with the curiously reefed sail. Why? Because it happens to be one of the very earliest depictions of battens in the history of sail!

Quote:Sunday Nov 22:
- 11 AM: Visit to the Museum of Ancient Shipping

Could you do me another favour and ask the personal whether publishing online photos of the items on displays is allowed or not? Because there is a plate which says that pics are only allowed for private purposes, but I was always under the impression that the laid-back RGZM actually does not care.

I am also curious whether the numerous copies and models of ancient things are under copyright (because they were built by the personal) or not (because they cannot claim, as faithful copies of ancient things, any originality).

Viel Spass euch!
Stefan
Stefan (Literary references to the discussed topics are always appreciated.)
Quote:What about Saturday evening dinner? Did we decide on a place (I had posted in the other thread a link to restaurants, wine bars etc. in Mainz)? If not who's taking care of the booking which I would recommend? I would do it if you let me know where and how many people.

Did anyone organize something yet??? I would do so if you let me know which place you favor. For Saturday evening I really do recommend booking in advance for such a large group as we are.
Quote:Did anyone organize something yet??? I would do so if you let me know which place you favor. For Saturday evening I really do recommend booking in advance for such a large group as we are.
No, no one has done anything, as you know the best restaurants. :wink:
Jona Lendering
My website