Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Greatest Expansion of the Roman Empire - When?
I think maybe you're confusing two questions.

Question 1: During whose reign did the Roman Empire reach its greatest extent?

Answer 1: Must be Septimius Severus. After all, only by relinquishing territory could he have done otherwise! But remember that he was building on the expansionist successes of Antoninus Pius (territory in Upper Germany and Britain), Hadrian (territory in Upper Germany and Britain), Trajan (new provinces in Dacia and Arabia, but retrenchment in Britain), Domitian (territory in Upper Germany, but ultimate retrenchment in Britain), Vespasian (Commagene), Nero (territory in Britain), Claudius (new provinces in Britain and Thrace), Tiberius (Cappadocia) and Augustus (phew -- where to begin?).

Question 2: Who was responsible for adding the most territory to the Roman empire?
Answer 2: Probably Augustus! But Trajan did a sterling self-publicity job. And although Severus advertised himself as the propagator imperii, it is debateable whether he personally added more to the empire (i.e. Mesopotamia and Tripolitania) than Trajan. (I have no intention of calculating the respective areas!!)

Don't you think ..?
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/

Messages In This Thread
Re: Greatest Expansion of the Roman Empire - When? - by D B Campbell - 11-21-2008, 12:50 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman military expansion munifex 6 2,078 06-04-2013, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Sardaukar
  The Nature of Roman Expansion Theodosius the Great 8 2,542 02-04-2006, 01:50 AM
Last Post: Theodosius the Great
  Greatest Roman inovation Gnaeus Pompeius Magnus 8 2,379 02-07-2005, 05:35 PM
Last Post: Ebusitanus