Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Xbox 360?
Wasn't sure if this should be gaming or off topic as it's not historical gaming?

Anyhoo, am contemplating surprising my better half with a 360 for christmas. Never had an Xbox before, have been brought up with Nintendos & Playstations.

Does anyone here have one?

Are they good? (Have read a scary amount about this red ring of death)

What are the better games?

Is Xbox Live good?

I've read other forums but you get Playstation "fanboys" bad-mouthing Xboxes and vice versa so I'm all confused! Def don't have the money for a PS3.

Thank you! x
Kat x

~We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars~
Hi Libby!

I have both XBOX360 and PS3. I have had my XBOX twice in maintenance, first for scratching the games and secondly the RED RING OF DEATH Confusedhock: ! They said that with the new series they have repaired the faults so be sure that you will buy one of the newer ones... PS3 works like an angel but it is expensive. On the other hand it is a very good dvd and Blu-Ray player. I only play NHL2K8 so I don`t know much about other games Cry ...

Perhaps you can ask from the shop you are buying the XBOX360 if their models don`t have those handicaps I mentioned anymore?
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Greetings Libitina!

Ah yes, the great question of our age: X-Box 360 or PS3?

I went with the PS3 as I already had some PS2 and 1 games and because I did want the Blu Ray player.

My son-in-law opted for the 360. It is currently at Microsoft being repaired for the second time. The early production run did have significant problems. Generally speaking MS has resolved those issues but it does give one pause.

Now he selected the 360 because of the games and that is an important consideration. The 360 has a very good selection of FPS type games so if you enjoy fast action you may find the games for the 360 more to your liking. He also is a big fan of the X-Box Live feature. The PS3 does have a few good games but generally lags behind the 360 in terms of numbers of good games.

At our house the favorites are the Lego series (Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Batman) and these are available on all platforms (and highly recommended! Big Grin ) For me, I still play the older PS2 games. In fact my favorite is Panzer General an old PS1 game.

Long ago, when the PS2 was just entering the market Sony had a tag line "It's the Games Stupid" and boy were they right. It is the games that make the difference.

I do think MS has worked out their hardware problems and you should be OK with a current generation machine. So the real question: What types of games does your "better half" enjoy. That should determine which platform you select.

One last note -- if you love movies Blu Ray discs really do look great on an HD monitor. That is an added bonus with the PS3. This may be a minor point perhaps, but something to consider as a "tie breaker" should game selection alone not be enough to drive you to one system over the others.

Good luck and enjoy!

:wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Thanks to you both!

Really hope they've fixed the red ring of death then, I'd feel happier about buying one.

Game-wise we've both enoyed (on the PS2) God of War, Ratchet & Clank, GTA games, Prince of Persia..

I think he'd like a more modern war style shooter too.
Kat x

Hmmmm, medal of honour, Brothers in arms, good ww2 games, plus the other more modern ones like Flashpoint, etc...
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Cheers Byron!

That other thread in gaming reminded me about Lara Croft so will add Tomb Raider to the list :lol:
Kat x

Since I have the wii, both xbox and ps remain quite unused, I have to say.
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Quote:Since I have the wii, both xbox and ps remain quite unused, I have to say.

The wii looks like so much fun! Unfortunately I tried on my sisters one but due to joint problems ended up in too much pain, grr Sad
Kat x

Well I've emerged from our Xbox for a few minutes Big Grin

Had to take the first one back which was annoying. Seeing as I don't know many gamers it'd be nice to add a few friends.
Kat x

Ahhh, ohhh square eyed one! Behold, she has returned!

Happy New Year Libi!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
360 has great games, I have spent all Christmas playing Gears of War (impressive, adictive and funny! one of the best games!) and Asassin's Creed :lol:
Javier Sánchez

"A tomb now suffices him for whom the whole world was not sufficient"
[Image: 76946975ce3.png]
Quote:Ahhh, ohhh square eyed one! Behold, she has returned!

Happy New Year Libi!

I have had a permanent fuzzy head now you mention it :oops:

Quote:360 has great games, I have spent all Christmas playing Gears of War (impressive, adictive and funny! one of the best games!) and Asassin's Creed

I haven't tried Gears of War yet. I've been playing Fable 2 which is excellent and briefly tried Call of Duty 4 but I'm terrible at shooting, which in a war situation does put me in a bad position :lol:

I also downloaded a Lord of the Rings demo and did multiplayer online. That was quite fun but I get sooo annoyed that I keep dying!
Kat x

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  XBOX Gladius richsc 0 932 04-07-2004, 01:03 AM
Last Post: richsc