Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman battlefield found deep inside Germany
It held the thick straps which in turn held the wooden passenger box so that it could swing and not every dent in the road was transferred to the passengers.
[Image: 14422-2.jpg]
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Ah damn, pictures have already been posted. :wink: whatever...

[Image: feld01ie1.jpg]

[Image: feld02af5.jpg]

[Image: feld03la3.jpg]

(they dated the left coin to the year 190)
--- Marcus F. ---
Roms vergessener Feldzug
Marian
really amazing the perfect conservation of some of them.
Marco

Civis Romanus Optime Iure Sum
How comes that so many articles now state history has to be rewritten? The typical media hype? Don't want to downplay things, these are very exciting news, but I'd never felt the Roman army of that time had not the capacity to make such incursions, but simply didn't because of lack of political interest. :?
[size=85:2j3qgc52]- Carsten -[/size]
Any measurements on those bits of mail?
Pecunia non olet
Couldn't this be the wars of Marcus Aurelius in Germany?

I just can't imagine anyone going so far as to invade Germany in the 3rd century when their own reigns were falling apart.
Multi viri et feminae philosophiam antiquam conservant.

James S.
Quote:Couldn't this be the wars of Marcus Aurelius in Germany?

I just can't imagine anyone going so far as to invade Germany in the 3rd century when their own reigns were falling apart.

1st the area is completely off from where Marcus' campaigned (Bohemia)

2nd a coin of Commodus was found so it has to be post Antonine periode.

My first guess was Maximinus Thrax but might be any other as well.

It's not that the empire was constantly falling apart during the 3rd century :?

Literature mentiones at least Maximinus, Gallienus and Maximianus campaining beyond the Rhine in the 3rd century (not sure if any others are mentioned but I think Carinus wasn't inactive as well)
RESTITVTOR LIBERTATIS ET ROMANAE RELIGIONIS

DEDITICIVS MINERVAE ET MVSARVM

[Micha F.]
Quote:How comes that so many articles now state history has to be rewritten? The typical media hype? Don't want to downplay things, these are very exciting news, but I'd never felt the Roman army of that time had not the capacity to make such incursions, but simply didn't because of lack of political interest.
In fact this does not come as news at all - there are enough literary sources stating that the Romans were operating behind the limes. If this comes as news to someone, than that someone doesn´t know a lot about Roman military history or the sources. OR that someone wants to create a "sensation" which might help in raising funds to get someone employed for evaluating the find... etc... maybe making a new museum like in Kalkriese... etc... Tourists etc...
The material findings are not very spectacular, that is. Any really relevant information might derive from a well made vertical stratigraphy of the area as a result of a large surface excavation. This might help in finding out how the army operated there. Or may not.
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Quote:
Gaius Julius Caesar:byc7uoob Wrote:Excellent pictures.
My exact thoughts Peronis.

What is that large round Item on the square base?

Also, I wonder if that spike wit hthe ring was used to tether a horse to a tree?

not sure if we mean the same one but on 3sat they said it was part of some cart. The other is what you call "Hering" in German: a tent peg

Thanks yes that makes sense. Smile

But the tent peg looks too small in proportion, which is what makes me think of a temporary fastener for a horse. :?:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Tent Peg is about 15cm
Marian
Thanks. 8)
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Whether it is definitely a tent peg is uncertain surely? A peg for tethering or fastening 'something' but probably not just for tents - it could have many many uses. Why would a tent peg be carried into battle? It would have been left with the tents in the baggage train wouldn't it?
Battles sometimes made their way into the camp. Sometimes the camp itself was the object of the attack. I'm taking it that the presence of some warlike equipment is what identifies this as a battle site?
Pecunia non olet
Quote:Whether it is definitely a tent peg is uncertain surely? A peg for tethering or fastening 'something' but probably not just for tents - it could have many many uses. Why would a tent peg be carried into battle? It would have been left with the tents in the baggage train wouldn't it?

I don´t know where exactly the tent peg was found...but there have been some cart-parts nearby as well.
By the way...it looks as if the top of it has never seen a hammer at all.
Marian

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman medical service on the battlefield. Robert Vermaat 0 245 03-16-2022, 10:10 AM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  New Roman camp found in Germany jho 15 8,366 10-18-2021, 11:48 PM
Last Post: Simplex
  How many armor soldiers did the Roman soldier bring to the battlefield Leoshenlong 18 2,712 05-07-2021, 05:39 PM
Last Post: CaesarAugustus