Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shoulder doubling attachment
Salve!

I'm currently making a lorica hamata dating from the late republican period. I'm interested to find out what kind of frontal attachment were used in that period, because according to Ahenobarbus relief there were no S-shaped hooks in that era. Also I'm curious to find out how many buckles were used to hold the back edge of the doubling.
Jussi Moisio
There were an excellent pair of S shaped doubling hooks found in excavations at the Kalkreise which was 9AD almost republican period, then when it comes to buckles I would go for 4 of these to give ample holding of the doubling.
Brian Stobbs
There's at least one clear relief which shows a straight bar fastening, such as on the man at right in this photo:

http://www.larp.com/legioxx/rd02y.jpg

(That's our own Quintius Clavus!) It has a rivet in the center to hold it to the body of the shirt, and angled slots to catch the studs on the flaps. Works pretty well.

Connolly shows a Gallic fastening which is similar in function to this but decorated in the form of three rosettes. I think one is actually attached to one of the flaps, while the bar is plain at that end and hooks behind the rosette. Something like that...

Matthew
Matthew Amt (Quintus)
Legio XX, USA
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx/">http://www.larp.com/legioxx/
The relief that Matthew is refering to is shown in the H. R. Robinson book, it is from Galatian mail in the victory frieze from the temple of Athena at Pergamum 2nd cent BC.
Brian Stobbs
And there was one found with punched dot decoration around its edges.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Thanks for illuminating me. My hamata-project can lumber on yet again.
Jussi Moisio
Does anyone have pictures or images of these fastening systems you mention?
Jim wrote...
Quote:And there was one found with punched dot decoration around its edges.

Do you mean this piece from Brogburgh Jim?
[Image: 192022270207_rma1.jpg]

This British piece is a nice one ..
[Image: Copyofmailhooka.jpg]

The Kalkriese pieces are of typical rams head decoration on the terminals..
[Image: kalkriese2.gif]
The pair from the Kalkriese are not plain but have faces at their centre and also other decorations. There is a good picture of them in the book by Tony Clunn "In Quest of the Lost Legions".
Brian Stobbs
There are three hook types from Kalkriese Brian. two are of the rams head terminal type. They are also all made of incredibly thin metal. This pair is inscribed with the maker's name on the reverse..
[Image: Kalkriesehooks.jpg]

[Image: kalkriese1.gif]

[Image: kalkriesehooks2.jpg]
Thanks a lot Adrian it is the one on the right in the lower pic that I was refering to. I reproduced that particular one for some chain mail made by the master Erik Shmid. That was a very touch and go situation making those for I made the faces in repousse', then had to braise them onto the hooks and of course I did the foolish thing of not making a mould of them but never mind I can always do the again.
Brian Stobbs
Quote:Jim wrote...

No, Ade. It's a rectangular Republican piece I saw in a publication somewhere.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Quote:Jim wrote...

[Image: 192022270207_rma1.jpg]

]

Ade, does this one hook onto the two buttons, or are they part of the hook? I have always wondered.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
The rectangular piece is showed in Connolys's Greece and rome at war, in the part dedicated to celtic armour.

Connolly has used a depiction on a Pergamon relief.
Quote:Ade, does this one hook onto the two buttons, or are they part of the hook? I have always wondered.

The discs are terminals of the hook itself. They work the same as any other hook. Celer has a pair of these on his mail shirt.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Celtic shoulder doubling LUCIUS ALFENUS AVITIANUS 2 1,350 01-05-2011, 11:39 AM
Last Post: Peroni
  shoulder doubling weave direction Taoye 1 1,307 09-05-2007, 08:59 AM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar
  shoulder doubling MarcusMemmiusFalco 3 1,948 04-11-2005, 11:14 AM
Last Post: Marcus Mummius