Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thread Color
Ave,

Our group here in the Balkans is making progress albeit slowly. I have the guys making their tunics. Don't want to reignite the color controversy but the guys choose red as the tunic color. The question is were the tunics sewn with natural or white thread or with a colored thread to match the tunic color.?.

Somehow that never occurred to me....... and I have to give my guys credit for asking. Granted most of the stitching is not seen anyway but it is a question. My web searches have turned up a few original tunics but they were white or a natural color and so the stitching issue was moot. I told the guys that our friends on RAT could point us in the right direction.

All comments welcome. Which way to go with the thread? We have a natural colored linen thread but it can be dyed?

Regards from the Balkans, Arminius Primus, aka Al
ARMINIVS PRIMVS

MACEDONICA PRIMA

aka ( Al Fuerst)

FESTINA LENTE
If you unravel a thread from the tunic material, your thread will match the color every time. :wink:

Since putting the thread through the needle doubles it, even wool thread is strong enough to sew with. If you pull too hard, it will break, but for sewing seams like that, you don't need to pull that tightly.

Use a blanket stitch over raw edges. Use a whip stitch or running stich for regular seams.

http://heatherrosejones.com/archaeologi ... .html#Wool
This link gives easy instructions for a whole bunch of stitches for different purposes. Hope that helps.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.