Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Promotion to the centurionate.
Quote:I have made an study about one centurio promoted directly from civil life, being an equites. His name was Lucius Alfenus Avitianus, that i have adopted as nickname.
Interesting. I suppose you mean ILS (Dessau) 367:
Quote:Imp(eratori) Caes(ari)
L(ucio) Aurelio
Vero Aug(usto) Ar-
men(ico) Part(hico) m(aximo)
Med(ico) p(ontifici) m(aximo) tr(ibunicia) p(otestate) V
co(n)s(uli) III
L(ucius) Alfenus Avi-
tianus p(rimus) p(ilus) tr(ibunus)
coh(ortis) III vig(ilum)
XII urbana(e)
[...]
May I ask: what makes you think he had a direct commission as centurion?
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
There is another inscription, founded in the same village. It's an statue basis dedicated to him, probably after he has been magistrate of that village. That fact make probable that he belongs to ordo equester.

Is not sure that he arrives to centurionate directly. I have thougt that he beginns his career in one cohors vigilium, and there was dificult to arrives to primus pilus only by military promotion. Then, it was promoted to tribunus of a cohors urbana. I think he was helped by political questions more than military questions.

At my work, i have proposed the other option, a military promotion, but i think is less probable.

Of course, that soldier belongs to II century, where a political promotion were very common:

Kolendo "La perception et l'apreciation d'un status social: le cas des primi pili" in La mobilité..., Strasbourg 1992, 166.
To me, I would believe that you had to kiss butt to move up. I suppose it depends on who is in charge. The senior centurion would probably have a major say, and the Legate the final say. Maybe all legions were different. Some legions you had to really show your bravery like Jurjen said.
Paul Zatarain
Decimus Aurelius Varus
"Your trust is showing..."
im still a staunch follower of the 'brave men and good soldiers' idea. marcus caelius for example. primi pili of the 18th legion destroyed under Varus. On his tombstone he wears a crown of oak - for saving the life of a comrade... no doubt the kind of respected and valued personnel needed in the infantry front line

carlton, above, seems to rate centurions in extra-military activity and I would agree that they undertook so but the level to which they could competetnly undertake such activity is largely dependant literacy and numeracy. im hardly suggesting that centurions couldnt count the number of cohorts in a legion but i woudl argue that there were sufficient administrative staff attachted to the military to ensure that military matters were the primary concern
VOTUM SOLVIT LIBENS MERITO
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
MOGONS
Adam Parker
Quote:im still a staunch follower of the 'brave men and good soldiers' idea. marcus caelius for example. primi pili of the 18th legion destroyed under Varus. On his tombstone he wears a crown of oak - for saving the life of a comrade... no doubt the kind of respected and valued personnel needed in the infantry front line

carlton, above, seems to rate centurions in extra-military activity and I would agree that they undertook so but the level to which they could competetnly undertake such activity is largely dependant literacy and numeracy. im hardly suggesting that centurions couldnt count the number of cohorts in a legion but i woudl argue that there were sufficient administrative staff attachted to the military to ensure that military matters were the primary concern

Different times, different usages, I'd say. Caelius was a centurion in a legion under Augustus, one that basically still followed the late Republican paradigm in almost all regards. A centurio regionarius in 2nd-century Egypt would have come from a very different background (for one thing, the chance that he had personally seen combat in his lifetime would be much lower). Also, I'm not saying that the literate, numerate and legally astute men that the new centurionate increasingly required of necessity weren't brave men. Stouffer's WWII study showed up a few interesting things about the qualities of 'good soldiers'. But I very much doubt any government would willingly put a man promoted solely for combat prowess in charge of handling a significant chunk of a district's petition load or the supply of textiles to a legion, and that is what centurions ended up doing. It can't be coincidence that epgraphic evidence shows cornicularii being good candidates for promotion.
Der Kessel ist voll Bärks!

Volker Bach