Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gladiatorial battles at Colosseum
The link below is a news story that describes that next year there will be gladiatorial fights at the Coliseum

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,470047,00.html
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
Well I must say that is interesting I wonder if they will (If they hold the fight in the collosseum) recreate the seats and all (Using wood and other materials of course. Who knows? it might give valuable insight into the crowds, the seats, the awning, the luxuries, etc. :wink:
A bout time they finished that thing....2000 years and its only half complete! Confusedhock: :roll: Tongue
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
The article doesn't say which gladiator group(s) will be involved. Anybody know? Ars Dimicandi? Somebody else?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Sounds a bit like thise event to me:
link from old RAT
ALA I BATAVORUM
Caballo had posted the article from the Times about this event in the Ancient Combat Sports section:

http://www.romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=25229
Svenja,

I guess it is the same or similar article. Acutally, to be honest, a friend of mine who likes the fox channel in the US saw this article and sent it to me so I posted it.
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
Paolo The group shown in the Fox news is the one I've mentioned a few times on RAT, I saw this group in 2004 at Roma and it's the one I think looked the most authentic of all the soldiers I saw there. They wear Coolus along with their segmentata and all their gear looks dull which gives them the look that Roman soldiers would have had. I'm not sure of the group but to me they are TOPS. If they ever do stage games there again these guys would look great guarding in the Vomita.
Brian Stobbs
Can't really go wrong considering the setting! Hope they invite all other interested groups to participate. The more Romans there in Rome, the better, right?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:Can't really go wrong considering the setting!
I am afraid that it can. Right now, it already gives me the shivers to see, amidst all those tourists, that cross to commemorate the Christian martyrs. If reenactors will be added, it will be a carnival or a fair.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Well, I know I can't be there to see it, but I can still hope for the best, and that our hobby, and the history that spawned it will be well represented (without the actual blood and disembowelments)
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Well, my advise would be: go to the Circus Maximus. It was the place for gladiatoral contests until the Colosseum was built, so it has just as much claim to be "the" historical site; and besides, it will be easier for the public to find a seat.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Was the circus bigger?
Decidedly. The Colosseum held about 50,000 spectators. The Circus Maximus at its apogee would hold around 250,000. It just wasn't a very good venue for gladiators.
Pecunia non olet
Mabye they can do both Smile