Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Apollo 8
Here is a nice movie of the Apollo 8, forty years ago. My parents bought a TV set to watch it.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
We were on the Big Island of Hawaii for the holiday. (My father was serving in Vietnam at the time.) Everyone at this small military post gathered in the lounge to watch it live on television as Apollo orbited the Moon -- it was amazing then and still so today. Quite an event.

As the saying goes "May you live in interesting times." And certainly we have, both good and bad.

So let us dwell on the good and hope for an even better New Year.

:wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Quote:As the saying goes "May you live in interesting times." And certainly we have, both good and bad.

So let us dwell on the good and hope for an even better New Year.
There's something uplifting in the words of David Brinkley at the end of that little movie: "At numerous times in sixty-eight we have seen the human race at our worst. But at the end of sixty-eight, in this last week, we have seen the human race at our best. And at our best, we're pretty good."
Jona Lendering
My website
I met Ed Bean this year. That was a highlight in my life! 8) Big Grin
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
When I was a boy my father managed to get invitations to a lecture by Gene Cernan at Worcester Poyltechnic Institute. I was able to bring a friend who dreamt of being an astronaut. Hearing first-hand accounts of his lunar expedition and other missions was fascinating. IIRC he racked up more than 23 days in space. That's in the pre-SkyLab, MIR, Space Shuttle, IntlSpaceStation days! Afterwards we were introduced. We were probably the only kids in a hall filled with techies (not trekkies), but he patiently answered all our questions and made us feel like we were the most important people there. They say that is the mark of a true gentleman.
P. Clodius Secundus (Randi Richert), Legio III Cyrenaica
"Caesar\'s Conquerors"
Ed is a true gentleman too.
He manages to compare himself and the other test pilots who landed on the moon to oilfield hands and make it convincing.
While I always wanted to be an astronaut, I knew I never would have been. But it is great to hear from the horses mouth that they are just human too, not supermen. Just very special humans! :wink:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:When I was a boy my father managed to get invitations to a lecture by Gene Cernan at Worcester Poyltechnic Institute. ... he patiently answered all our questions and made us feel like we were the most important people there. They say that is the mark of a true gentleman.
I once saw an interview with Cernan on the Dutch TV, and I got the same impression: this man is indeed a gentleman (although I know he cursed like a devil after a motor failure during the Apollo 10 mission).
Jona Lendering
My website
As an aside, the Chinese have announced their intention of landing a crew on the moon in the next few years. Interesting.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:Ed is a true gentleman too.
He manages to compare himself and the other test pilots who landed on the moon to oilfield hands and make it convincing.
That's not really much of a stretch. Both groups are living in harsh and unforgiving environments. The need to rely on the other crewmembers. Their work is by nature hazardous, and when bad things happen they will have to take control and solve the problem. Aren't all oilfield hands perfect gentleman as well? :lol:
P. Clodius Secundus (Randi Richert), Legio III Cyrenaica
"Caesar\'s Conquerors"
Quote:Aren't all oilfield hands perfect gentleman as well
No, I knew one who was imperfect. He'd lost two fingers to a chain brake accident.
:wink:
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:
Gaius Julius Caesar:259kf126 Wrote:Ed is a true gentleman too.
That's not really much of a stretch. Both groups are living in harsh and unforgiving environments. The need to rely on the other crewmembers. Their work is by nature hazardous, and when bad things happen they will have to take control and solve the problem. Aren't all oilfield hands perfect gentleman as well? :lol:

Actually the most convincing part was his description of his efforts to repair the 1st colour TV camera on the moon, with a hammer, after he accidentally swung the open lens around and exposed it to the direct light of the sun!! :lol: :lol: 8) :lol:
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I'll bet that hammer tap didn't do much to improve the burnt-out optics, eh? Too bad they hadn't yet invented that self-darkening welding lens like my mask has.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:I'll bet that hammer tap didn't do much to improve the burnt-out optics, eh? Too bad they hadn't yet invented that self-darkening welding lens like my mask has.

err yeah....welding has led the field in optical innovations... :roll: :lol:
I imagine thats where they came from at a pinch.

He was not impressed with himself to say the least, but it gives a human aspect to these remarkable men and what they achieved.

I just feel honored to have had my picture taken with him, and to have been in his company for a day! It brought back that feeling of lifes possibilities again, these guys are great team players and motivators.
Great examples to all men.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Hear! Hear!

I guess it would be hard to work on electronics in a space suit anyhow. :lol: And they didn't give them too many tools to use, either. When I think of those first grade Hasselblad cameras just sitting there, I grow covetous. Imagine what one of those would be worth on eBay!
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
I'd settle for a moon buggy!! :lol:
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel