Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to tie your helmet
Having made the Wiesenau 369 (Gallic D) I would like to dedicate this kind of fastener to Ludwic Lindenschmit, for it was found inside that helmet when it came out of the river at Mianz. In the link to it I fitted the brass ring for there was a recess at the bottom of the truncated cone, Lindenschmit was not aware at the time just what it was but I consider it to be what I show here.

http://www.listuo.com/sextima/tog.jpg
Brian Stobbs
Could be. Would that loosen up during the day and have to be resnugged? If so, that might not be the best thing during a swordfight. But it would certainly be easier than tying a knot (or UNtying a knot) under one's chin.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:Could be. Would that loosen up during the day and have to be resnugged? If so, that might not be the best thing during a swordfight. But it would certainly be easier than tying a knot (or UNtying a knot) under one's chin.

My thoughts exactly. Seems fast and easy, which is good, but I too wonder how strong this is when your helmet gets pushed around a bit...
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Nice ! Smile
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
In having experimented with this thing it can also have the two ends of the straps crossed over and pulled together beneath it believe me it does make the helmet secure. Then there is the other aspect of it where we know that soldiers on the march would need to get their helmets on very quickly if attacked, or on guard duty at night one could be in the stand easy situation and also come very quickly to alert. What we find from Lindenschmit is that when this helmet was found the cheek pieces were folded inwards, and this is how this truncated cone was found with also a round flat wood disc that may have had another piece which served instead of the deer horn that I show.
Brian Stobbs
I considered that as the Wiesenau 369 helmet I made has been shown on RAT, it was time to show what may have been the fixing arrangement of it. Also it is very appropriate to honour the man who delt with this helmet by calling it the Lindenschmit Toggle.
Brian Stobbs
I just have to ask: Any helmet finds with a small buckle inside that may indicate the use of leather chinstraps with a buckle? I know this might look a bit modern for many but you have to remember that things very "modern" from the roman era turn up frequently. (Flamethowers, computers, water valves among many others come to mind)
John Kaler MSG, USA Retired
Member Legio V (Tenn, USA)
Staff Member Ludus Militus https://www.facebook.com/groups/671041919589478/
Owner Vicus and Village: https://www.facebook.com/groups/361968853851510/
I wannabe in the flamethrower cohort! :lol:
(I am thinking you mean the jewelry blowtorch?)
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:I wannabe in the flamethrower cohort! :lol:
(I am thinking you mean the jewelry blowtorch?)
Sorry only for Marine cohorts. (very brave ones at that)
John Kaler MSG, USA Retired
Member Legio V (Tenn, USA)
Staff Member Ludus Militus https://www.facebook.com/groups/671041919589478/
Owner Vicus and Village: https://www.facebook.com/groups/361968853851510/
Jeff,

I own the helmet Brian is referring to. It does hold the helmet on securely as he mentions. Also the toggle is not that free moving that it slides up or down the leather ties without friction. It needs assistance either way.

However, it is quite fast to tie up when you have to put your helmet on.
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
It seems a very good method to me, which secures the helmet very well.
As there was some evidence for it found within a helmet, why not using it?

Thanks for sharing the Lindenschmit Toggle. Big Grin
ALA I BATAVORUM
I have to point that I personaly have not come across any other evidence from elsewhere that shows this type of fastener, it is simply that Lindenschmit shows it in his paper on the Wiesenau helmet. This truncated cone did have a recess at it's base with indication that there was a tiny hole located in that area, which gave logical thought that some sort of band had to fit this point. It does become obvious that constant movement in the upward direction is going to apply pressure on the base area of the cone, this is the reason that I fitted a metal band at the recess area and gave it two pins to secure it at 180 degrees apart. I have mentioned earlier that there was also a flat wood disc found with the cone, this of course had two pin holes showing on it's edge that did appear to be spaced at around 120 degrees apart. It became logical to think that there may have been another metal band around the edge of this disc however it would have had infact three holes to prevent it from rotating. As there was only one disc I went for the deer horn option for the strap ends to go thro' these.
Brian Stobbs
If it's made for the purpose intended, it might be just one soldier's way of solving everyone's problem (everyone whose helmet didn't have those nifty studs on the outsides of the cheekpieces, that is). It could just be a unique method. In the US, particularly the Southwest, there is a kind of neck closure called a bolo tie, which works on the same principle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bolo_tie

Maybe the Roman soldier went to Spain, the idea caught on there, and it was brought with the Spanish to Mexico, then introduced to Texas and Arizona. Makes more sense to me than the Roman galley in Peru story. :wink:
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
David That Bolo Tie you show looks good and the Spanish connection makes sence, it serves the same purpose as the boyscout neck tie toggle which just slides up the neck scarf. The particular system I've shown can fit any type of helmet for it just slides up the two chin straps, indeed I'm sure not only Roman soldiers would get just a bit fed up with their straps snapping at the knot area but re-enactors also.
Brian Stobbs
If one picked them carefully, I'll bet the components could be made easily from bird bones. Already hollow, easy to match to a leather thong. Much easier to work with than mammal bone.

The story about the bolo tie's origin is a pure fabrication. Maybe I could add it to the Wikipedia entry.... :twisted:
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.