Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SPQR Tattoo and Gladiator Re enactment.
Quote:I was quite amused by this post! Just this past fall, I got a huge tattoo on my right calf in technicolor of my bright yellow rally car, along with some equally brightly colored blue and magenta things. I thought, "Naw, who cares about work- I can always wear pants." And then I joined Legio VI out here in California and while I had planned on wearing gender appropriate attire for 99% of events, I heard about the Fort Lafe event and knew I had to go as a soldier. It wasn't hard sewing my garments. Even making my lorica segmentata hasn't been hard or finding shoes or marching with the scuta and pila. It's just that I have this terrible... gangerene on my leg! Who knew my tattoo would interefere with my reenactment... Luckily, I have some really high socks and the part by my knee is blue so it looks like a bruise. : )

But there are some great tattoo cover up makeups out there. I studied theatrical makeup for some time if you need help with that. Your new tattoo looks great.

If it is cold you can wrap leggings around your lower legs. And laser removal is supposed to work well with some ink types if you no longer want the artwork.
John Kaler MSG, USA Retired
Member Legio V (Tenn, USA)
Staff Member Ludus Militus https://www.facebook.com/groups/671041919589478/
Owner Vicus and Village: https://www.facebook.com/groups/361968853851510/
You can also try, wait for it now lads......"FEMENALIA"...but as I could not open the page with your tattoo, I do not know if it extends far below mid calf or not.
But the leadr of our Batavians is quite extensively tattoo'd too, and manages quite well!
Mind you his look quite believable for the period.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I was reading somewhere that thracians where quite heavily tattoo'd.

Could I get away wit just covering up the head of the dragon as I would have thought that the tattoos they would have had wouldhave been very tribal anyway.
"Smithy", Justen M. Smith.

Rule Britannia, Britannia waives the rules.
The one on your arm Smithy could be covered with a long sleeved tunic.

Of course, if you removed the clingfilm the tattoo is attached to, that might solve the problem too?(sorry couldn't resist it!) :mrgreen:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
It is not fake, you should see the hand gesture the end of that hands is making, didnt take the full picture because I did not want to ger banned from here. Big Grin lol: :lol:

Now now, just yanking your chain. :lol:

Like I said a longer sleeved tunic could cover it up no prob, I think a short sleeved tunic was good for early impressions, which is good enough.
A manica would also be handy for covering the head too, to go with your other idea.

So really what ever you do, I think you have it covered(excuse the pun) :lol:
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Now now, just yanking your chain. :lol:

Like I said a longer sleeved tunic could cover it up no prob, I think a short sleeved tunic was good for early impressions, which is good enough.
A manica would also be handy for covering the head too, to go with your other idea.

So really what ever you do, I think you have it covered(excuse the pun) :lol:

Lol I was actuall making a thumbs up sign.

Covered :lol: very good.

Thanks for all the help everyone, happy valentines day.

Welcome to the forum, Lisa. You've fallen in with bad company among this pack of loonies and obsessives, but you'll have fun. Excellent choice of nomen, by the way. You'll just have to get used to a four-horsepower vehicle for a change.
Pecunia non olet
Quote:Any pics of you in kit Antonia?? I've seen one or 2 women who do legionary impressions but it isn't that common.

Looking at your website, it would be hard to mistake you for a man, no offense intended... :mrgreen:

Sorry if I have scared you away, but I would liketo see your segmentata!
I have to resort to buying mine, so I am always interested in seeing the handy work of others. 8)
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gladiator re-enactment from 1935! LĂ˝sandros 6 1,667 02-12-2010, 10:53 AM
Last Post: Uhrisa