Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boxers
I recall reading or watching a program quite a few years back when Roman boxing was discussed. One thing that stuck in my head was an anecdote about one boxer who was supposed to have beaten to death approximately 80 opponents before succumbing himself.

Does anyone have any information on this individual and or the "sport" as it was practiced? I also recall a statement that the boxers were shackled to posts facing each other and may have only used one fist. Can anyone shed any light?

I appreciate any information.

Cheers,
Pict.
Andrew son of Andrew of the family Michie, of the clan Forbes highlanders to a man from our noble forebears the blue painted Pict, scourge of the legions.
As far as i know in greece they have recreated greek sports ie. boxing,pankattion (i dont know the correct spelling of it :oops: )

If you go to google and type Greek boxing you get some refenses.

Hope it is some help to you
"The Kaiser knows the Munsters,
by the Shamrock on their caps,
And the famous Bengal Tiger, ever ready for a scrap,
And all his big battalions, Prussian Guards and grenadiers,
Fear to face the flashing bayonets of the Munster Fusiliers."

Go Bua
I know of nothing of the actually practice but there is recent archaeology that remains very interesting indeed.
The excavation period of 2003-2004 at the fort/vicus of Vindolanda (Chesterholm) on the Stanegate in northern Britain produced several items of decorated silver alloy plate, with three visible figures amongst them: a Man, a goddess and a Boxer.

from Birley, P., 2005, "Interim report on the decorated silver alloy plate" in Birley, A., and Blake, J., Vindolanda: The excavations 2003-2004[i][/i], Hexham:Vindolanda Trust, pp210 -213 ...

"the irregular shaped fragment is approx. 50mm x 40mm folded roughly in half...
The engaging figure shows a boxer circa 45mm high. The head is protected by a plain helmet and there is a suggestion of a holding strap covering the left ear. The helmet is very similar to those worn by boxer figure-types on terra sigillata (Felix Oswald 1179 and 1180)
He wears a short tunic, gathered at the waist, and has a cloak over the left shoulder. His arms are raised with the fists clenched, ready for the fight. A plain caestus ( a metal knuckleduster) can be seen on his right hand..."

Surely one can hypothesise that the awareness of such iconographic forms reveals an inherant military acceptance of, if not participation in, boxing. Hunting and wrestling are also suggested pass-times on the Northern fronteir (Birley,R., 2004) so why not boxing?

hope thats interesting if not enlightening.
VOTUM SOLVIT LIBENS MERITO
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
MOGONS
Adam Parker
Statue from the Museum in Rome. Boxer?
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]
A hard right to the temple would put your lights out! That "glove" would give a tough smack on the ribs, too.

What do you think the "ruffles" at the top of the wrist wrap are made from? Hair? Cord? twisted cloth?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Looks like fleece to me. I've seen similar detail on early gladiatorial manicae.
Pecunia non olet
So the wrist wraps are shearling, with the furry side in and the leather side out. That would work well. Thanks for that answer. The rectangular deal, though, that's surely metal, and not very friendly.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Here you can find a possible reconstruction made by Ars Dimicandi:
http://www.arsdimicandi.net/ad_1_000001.htm
Olaf Küppers - Histotainment, Event und Promotion - Germany
Interesting stuff...but I'm still not getting in that ring. A few decades ago, maybe, but not today.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Could also be some kind of decorative ornamentation...I know some modern boxing boots have tassles on them. Interesting, the figure on the right on what looks like the greek style of vase, appears to be using his elbow. I wonder if Roman boxing was maybe closer to muay thai?

Legion: TBD
Quote:The rectangular deal, though, that's surely metal, and not very friendly.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that it might have been a thick, rigid piece of oxhide.
Manny Garcia
Could be. No way I could be sure, just from the sculpture.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
They sure are nasty-looking things. Bill Thayer says:

Quote:Stripping away all the Greek technical terms, these things are brass knuckles, not boxing gloves.

Meaning, I guess, that they are designed to make the blows harder, not softer.
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
either way metal or hide, you get hit with that thing, your gonna get cut, someone had posted this in another thread, shows some good techniques that may have been used, just scroll to the boxing portion.
http://www.vimeo.com/4626022
Aequat omnes cinis
"Ashes makes everybody equal"--Seneca
Joseph porcaro
Remember that modern boxing gloves are not designed to "soften the blow," but to protect the fragile bones of the boxer's hands, so that he can hit with full strength. We've all seen the stop-motion pictures of a boxer's face when the glove makes contact. Does that look soft? The classical caestus did the same thing, plus adding cutting and smashing power.
Pecunia non olet

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Boxers Practice Gloves found at Vindolanda Crispianus 1 1,596 03-07-2021, 09:55 AM
Last Post: Crispianus
  Boxers in the arena? Carlton Bach 1 1,938 09-07-2008, 05:46 PM
Last Post: Medusa Gladiatrix