Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Take that!
On a sling stone, I it said 'dexa' meaning 'take that.' This is from John Warry, Warfare in the Classical World.
John Baker

Justice is the constant and perpetual wish to render to every one his due.
- Institutes, bk. I, ch. I, para. I
Come on, guys, lets do a list of nice generic short ones
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
How about
"Sursum sum" (I'm up)
"Sursum tuum" (Up yours)
"Subitus" (sudden)
"Dolor" (pain, sorrow)
"Putor" (putrefaction)
"Mors" (death)

It's just a small object, and not much can be written on one. Plaster mold coming for making glandes in a couple of days. Then the hope is to "tree up" four and make a clay mold. I think I have a plan to make the mold halves mate. We'll see if it works in another week, when I get that far.

Does anyone agree that painting the surface of the lead with a good varnish will make them safe for people to handle? I have some lead, but don't want to be responsible for people, especially young ones handling it. A dunk in varnish? Yes?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Yes, varnish would be good, but why don't you use a tin/zink/lead alloy in 55/35/10 mix. You get perfectly stable pewter! That way, there is no great lead oxide issue anymore. It is really the lead oxide which causes the transfer of the dangerous lead, so a varnish sealing the lead from air would be do the job as well. (as you may have guessed, I'm also a safety consultant)
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
Quote: .......sealing the lead from air would be do the job as well. (as you may have guessed, I'm also a safety consultant)

Et-tu Rob-rutae? :wink:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Well, yeah, but I kicked the habit (or rather, I hung it) some time ago. Looking at my smithy, one could never tell :roll:

Still, every now and again it's usefull ...
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
:lol:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
'haec est tibi' - this is for you
'exsequiae' - funeral rites
'elidere' or 'excutere' - knock down

There are probably hundreds of these...look through a nice Latin dictionary and pick out a few that fit your personal taste. 8)
John Baker

Justice is the constant and perpetual wish to render to every one his due.
- Institutes, bk. I, ch. I, para. I