Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Quiver pictures?
Hey guys! I'm trying to get some pics on a Roman quiver. I'm doing a drawing of some Auxiliaries that would have been in Judea around Christ's time. Correct me if I'm wrong please, but they'd probably have the double belt, common in early 1st century? Or since they're Auxiliaries, would it be less standardized? would they wear a quiver on their belt? or on their back? Thanks guys,
Travis
In the Osprey book Roman Military Clothing 1 Judean auxilia almost look like the citizens of Judea at that time, with fewer Romanizations than some might expect. Archers would more than likely have been just about like Syrian archers of the day, since basically, they were. Graham Sumner shows more than one purported Judean, along with an archer in a Phrygian cap, but no quiver, alas.

From other places, it seems the quiver would have been worn on the belt, or at belt height, not over the shoulder (TV Robin Hood style), on the right side. Like other things of that sort, it could have been made from wicker, woven basketwood, or leather. I think a Roman auxilia would probably hang it behind the gladius, but that's just speculation.

Surely there is at least one archer on this forum, who could make a more informed answer.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.