Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Centurion
Hi Dan

Quote:In kit terms it IS a step closer to the standards set by groups like the ESG than the stuff in Gladiator, Imperial gallics & properly fashioned lorica are used (whatever the materials used ).
They had obviously been referring to the works of Connolly, Sumner & Junkelmann along the way, I did see these books somewhere in Shepperton

Quote:I'll try to find out more info for you chaps (who the advisor was on equipment),

I would certainly appreciate that Dan, in particular who was involved with the costume side of things.

Best wishes

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Sadly the art department wasn't on set (no one represented them on location, but there were around during the studio work and had I realised I'd have sought them out).

I did speak to Neil the director and he was absolutely sincere in his commitment to making a thrilling film set in Britain's Roman occupation (an invasion certainly wasn't mentioned, but I didn't press him on this matter).

What was positive was that he felt that re-enactors had a vital role to play in historically themed films.

That said, there are limitations on these sort of productions caused by budget & health & safety! Speaking to the main stunt co-ordinator a scene with pila throwing and gladius drawing was considered but because of time, terrain and limited budget (it's not a £200million Hollywood epic, but a gutsy Brit flick) this wasn't included and hasta were employed instead, also the main combat was not over open terrain but through very dense woods and had a healthy mix of stuntmen, re-enactors and a few ex squaddies... one comment from one of my guys yesterday was "F***ing hell... it's Teutoburg all over again!" :lol:

Again it is a feature film and NOT a documentary, the characters and plot take precedent over the kit.

However, despite artistic creativity employed on the Picts I can confirm that not a square inch of tartan was used (hooray) and not a single bit of 'Touristy Book of Kells' knotwork appeared in tattoos or on shields (another hooray), also - the question of what 1st to 3rd Century Picts looked like would vex even the most learned people on here so boldness was called for with the art & costume people.

People on here will spot a few costume inaccuracies amongst the legion (in the matter of the armour employed by specific units) but it wouldn't be fair of me to say at this stage. But looking at details like lorica-segmentata & imperial Gallics they have made an effort (several different imperial gallic helms were employed and the body armour was Corbridge style lorica). The attention to detail was far better than on Gladiator and even if Marcus Junklemann & Graham Sumner & Mike Bishop are consulted directly on the next few movies in this genre there's always going to be compromises in artistic decisions that purists won't like, it's the way films work.

From the bits we've seen it looks like a very exciting and rather graphic movie. The director was responsible for cult classic films like Dog Soldiers and The Descent so you can be sure of an adrenaline packed couple of hours. I really hope this does well as (inaccuracies or not) it WILL generate more public interest in ancient period warfare and that can only be good for all of our groups (more attendance means more funding for events and greater book sales - and when the curious public do turn up it's then down to societies to fill in the gaps and educate the public that are interested in knowing more).
BRITANNIA
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.durolitum.co.uk">www.durolitum.co.uk
I agree very much with what Dan's said. As far as the Picts were concerned, it was done pretty well given budget. It would have been nice to have had a division of drunk, naked, tattoo-covered berzerkers but that wasn't really feasible! Some battle carnyx sounders would have added some aural weirdness to the battles too. But, generally, it was very well done. It was nice for the dialect coach to insist on a northern Scottish accent when the Pictish leader spoke English to the Romans (if you can get over the general incongruity of that!). If the film ends up being half as much fun to watch as it was making it then it'll be great entertainment!
Hamish Moir
Quote: What was positive was that he felt that re-enactors had a vital role to play in historically themed films.
Good for you and Britannia Dan! Every step closer is a good one, and directors might see the positive influences and copy them.

Quote:Again it is a feature film and NOT a documentary, the characters and plot take precedent over the kit.
Understood. And Gladiator might have beeen questionable at times, we all realise that it generated much interest for Roman history.

Quote:However, despite artistic creativity employed on the Picts I can confirm that not a square inch of tartan was used (hooray) and not a single bit of 'Touristy Book of Kells' knotwork appeared in tattoos or on shields (another hooray), also - the question of what 1st to 3rd Century Picts looked like would vex even the most learned people on here so boldness was called for with the art & costume people.
Very good. But as to 'what 1st and 3rd c. Picts looked like'.. welllll... see below:

Quote:To get his revenge, Quintus joins General Virilus’ Ninth Legion, which marches north to wipe the Picts from the planet.
That should not have been very hard, because the first time we hear of the Picts is in a panegyric written by Eumenius in 297, 180 years later!! Confusedhock:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quite right Robert, (ok... what did the 'Proto-Picts' of the 1st C. AD- running up to January 1st, 297AD Look like? :wink: ) [size=85:3jzhs43y]Only kidding mate.. seriously, the question of early visual identity of the Northern British tribes is fascinating, but I am genuinely pleased the film company didn't give in to the 'tartan wholesale' cliche on this production.[/size]

You HAVE started me thinking... Suppose it would've been nice to concentrate on Septimius Severus' 208-211 Campaigns - however (despite theories about the Ninth Legion being broken up & re-assigned to other Legions after 117AD - I understand that's the last official reference to them) or indeed being wiped out in a Eastern campaign (Parthians?)... the story/legends of the legion that vanished is very much part of the British national psyche (I know of more than one Scottish friend that's heard of folktales about the 'Unlucky Legion' vanishing in the highland mists).

How much of this is due to recent injections of curiostity thanks to the explosion of tourism in the late Victorian age in Britain - or indeed to Rosemary Sutcliff's wonderful story (come on chaps, we really can't fault it :wink: ) is the matter of continuing debate.

I suppose because it has so much potential as an exciting story, that's why Neil Marshall has taken it up.
It's got more mileage and excitement as a feature film than a story about the re-distribution of army units in the 2nd Century AD :lol:

The other thing to consider that if this is a hit with cinema audiences - then many of you 1st/2nd Century chaps will probably get documentary work out of it (they tend to commission documentaries on the wave of public curiosity after big films like this).

There are already clips appearing and a lovely double page spread in this month's Total Film magazine.

In the meantime, one of my lads was sent this cracking picture of our very own Sillicus (who posts on here) by one of the crew, I must point out, it shows how graphic it's going to be.... and he hasn't just cut himself shaving! :wink:
BRITANNIA
I do hope for the best where this film is concerned -- No doubt we will all wince at times (as we did in Troy, in Gladiator, Rome, Spartacus, etc) but if this film is a hit then it will generate more interest in ancient history and that is all good.

Thanks for the reports Dan -- always good to have an "inside" perspective on a production.

:wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Quote:Quite right Robert, (ok... what did the 'Proto-Picts' of the 1st C. AD- running up to January 1st, 297AD Look like? :wink: ) [size=85:3hps1qgh]Only kidding mate.. seriously, the question of early visual identity of the Northern British tribes is fascinating, but I am genuinely pleased the film company didn't give in to the 'tartan wholesale' cliche on this production.[/size]

You HAVE started me thinking... Suppose it would've been nice to concentrate on Septimius Severus' 208-211 Campaigns - however (despite theories about the Ninth Legion being broken up & re-assigned to other Legions after 117AD - I understand that's the last official reference to them) or indeed being wiped out in a Eastern campaign (Parthians?)... the story/legends of the legion that vanished is very much part of the British national psyche (I know of more than one Scottish friend that's heard of folktales about the 'Unlucky Legion' vanishing in the highland mists).

How much of this is due to recent injections of curiostity thanks to the explosion of tourism in the late Victorian age in Britain - or indeed to Rosemary Sutcliff's wonderful story (come on chaps, we really can't fault it :wink: ) is the matter of continuing debate.

I suppose because it has so much potential as an exciting story, that's why Neil Marshall has taken it up.
It's got more mileage and excitement as a feature film than a story about the re-distribution of army units in the 2nd Century AD :lol:

The other thing to consider that if this is a hit with cinema audiences - then many of you 1st/2nd Century chaps will probably get documentary work out of it (they tend to commission documentaries on the wave of public curiosity after big films like this).

There are already clips appearing and a lovely double page spread in this month's Total Film magazine.

In the meantime, one of my lads was sent this cracking picture of our very own Sillicus (who posts on here) by one of the crew, I must point out, it shows how graphic it's going to be.... and he hasn't just cut himself shaving! :wink:

I think that I did that... :twisted:
Hamish Moir
Those last scenes were starting to look like a slaughterhouse weren't they! :lol: :lol:

I had to have two baths and a shower that evening... the first one I was just laying in a pool of red water, my bathroom was like a Quentin Tarantino movie... I thought I'd cleaned it all off... but that fake blood got everywhere!

Have you recovered from your injuries yet?
BRITANNIA
Quote:There are already clips appearing
[Image: centurionbehindthescenes.jpg]

http://video.google.co.uk/videosearch?h ... =N&tab=wv#

Looks a must see..............
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
Again, being totally honest, people that have researched this period will have isssues on some of the kit.
(Segmentata on some of the cavalry, hastas etc). And the actor's comments about the legion size & origins in those clips aren't exactly spot on.

However- I was amazed at the detail on the imperial Gallic helms (also some of the bowls and cheek guards were different in minor ways) as much as I loved Gladiator - I winced at the 'Roman' helmets they made us wear in that shoot, but in this film the art department have really made the effort as far as legionary headgear is concerned.

I think the lorica segmentata (and few examples of plumata & hamata they had) looked so convincing up close, even though it wasn't actually metal, there were excellent age/wear techniques employed to suggest pitting & rust that had been cleaned off.

It looks like a really strong character-led adventure and I think it'll do very well indeed (Neil Marshall has an excellent reputation).

Also (I know I'm repeating myself) I really hope it generates public interest in classical warfare, because we all stand to benefit from the spin offs!
BRITANNIA
An officlal still (We were in this scene) the guys copping the flaming oil were stuntment in kevlar under-suits, were were either side of them.
No CGI, all live action in the combat scenes we worked on.
BRITANNIA
Hello Dan,
I have to agree with your earlier response to my queries, thanks for the reply btw, and
agree that your method would certainly have better results than constan sneering and derision from afar.
I have always wanted to be involved in movies..unfortunately, I lack the looks, talent, knowledge, money etc that would help LOL all the best to your efforts.
I still enjoy Gladiator though, although now when I watch it, I cringe at the size of the callista bolts as they tail down before going out of screenshot! :lol: :roll:

The clips look good though, and I will more than likely be going to see it! Wish I was there LOL :mrgreen:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:I have always wanted to be involved in movies..unfortunately, I lack the looks, talent, knowledge, etc

HA! That didn't stop me getting involved... :lol:

It didn't seem to have stopped quite a few Hollywood 'stars' either :roll:

[size=85:3p99tyr0](Don't be daft)[/size] Smile

I think because our first ever event as a group was as extras (Robin Hood Prince of Innacuracy) :lol: and a string of other good and bad films since then (coupled with the fact that quite a lot of my lads live near Shepperton, Pinewood & Leavesden Studios) we've got that culture in the group. Some films are good, some bad and some downright awful (not all historical too, one of our guys was a droid in Phantom Menace (he's only just admitted it :lol: ). But it all ultimately pays for kit!
BRITANNIA
:lol:
Must be fun some of the time though!
Anyway, I look forward to seeing this, it certainly looks ok from the clips so far!([size=85:3rdrk71u]except those hasta.... :wink: [/size] Smile
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
photos from he set:
http://www.aaronsneddon.co.uk/index.php ... et%202009/
--- Marcus F. ---