Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Arthurian stuff
The Hwicce occupied Gloucestershire and areas north of it I think - often compared to the civitas of the Dobunni. The Gewissae had their nucleus (and first bishopric) in the Upper Thames valley at Dorchester-on-Thames, and later occupied surrounding areas like North Wiltshire before moving south under Mercian pressure.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Hello,

Clearly the subject of the so-called historical arthur is complex, involved, and not for the faint of heart. Can someone please recommend some good basic or introductory level books concerning the historic Arthur, the various theories as to who he may have been, and the times in which he lived? There seem to be quite a few books out there, but I’ve no idea where best to begin and what best to avoid.

Thank You

Emil
Emil Bosman
Quote:Hello,

Clearly the subject of the so-called historical arthur is complex, involved, and not for the faint of heart. Can someone please recommend some good basic or introductory level books concerning the historic Arthur, the various theories as to who he may have been, and the times in which he lived? There seem to be quite a few books out there, but I’ve no idea where best to begin and what best to avoid.

Thank You

Emil

Certainly isn't for the faint hearted and you may regret ever stating! :lol: I always suggest The Mammoth Book of King Arthur by Mike Ashley. May not sound good, and there's plenty to argue against, but I think it's a good starting point because of the broad spectrum it covers.
Arturus Uriconium
a.k.a Mak Wilson
May the horse be with you!
[url:17bayn0a]http://www.makltd.biz[/url]
As for setting the period, I would recommend in the first place Britain and the End of the Roman Empire by Ken Dark. Although Arthur historicity is not debated there at all (and Pr. Dark denies any serious proof of it), it's a most-be-read about sub-roman Britain.
"O niurt Ambrois ri Frangc ocus Brethan Letha."
"By the strenght of Ambrosius, king of the Franks and the Armorican Bretons."
Lebor Bretnach, Irish manuscript of the Historia Brittonum.
[Image: 955d308995.jpg]
Agraes / Morcant map Conmail / Benjamin Franckaert
My personal favourite of all of the 'who was/were the real Arthur/s is Rodeny Castelden's "King Arthur-The Truth Behind the Legend" (despite the horrible title), not because I agree with the conclusions reached but because it's well written, well argued and, out of all the one's I've read (over 100, and thought it not to many :wink: ), he's one of the few who never loses sight of the fact that it's all speculation and that there is no way that anyone can prove conclusively that there ever was an Arthur, let alone prove where he lived or what he did.
After examining the usual heaps of contentious evidence, Castledon makes the very valid point that if all of the legend and unsubstantiated ‘history’ is stripped away we may not be left with any proof of Arthurs existence, but what we do have is an Arthur shaped hole in a fascinating period in Britains history.

One of the few books on the subject that hasn't been shouted at or thrown across the room.
"Medicus" Matt Bunker

[size=150:1m4mc8o1]WURSTWASSER![/size]
Mak and Matt, Thank you for the suggestions. Those two titles were among the ones about which I was wondering.

Benjamin, Thank you for the suggestion for setting the period. I was unfamiliar with this book.

These three books seem to be a good place to begin and I am working on obtaining all three. Again many thanks to you all.

One additional question regarding titles or authors, would Christopher Snyder's the World of King Arthur and An Age of Tyrants be worthwhile reading?

Best

Emil
Emil Bosman
Quote:One additional question regarding titles or authors, would Christopher Snyder's the World of King Arthur and An Age of Tyrants be worthwhile reading?
The first one surely, the second one absolutely. It's one of the best written books about the fifth century.

I can also recommend:

Bartrum, P.C. (1993): A Welsh Classical Dictionary, People in History and Legend up to about AD 1000, (The National Library of Wales, Cardiff) - it's the absolute who'who in Welsh history and legend.
Bassett, Steve et al (1989): The Origins of Anglo-Saxon Kingdoms, (Leicester University Press) - if you can get a copy. it's one of the best books describing the rise of 'the other side'.
Dark, Ken R. (1994): Civitas to Kingdom, British Political Continuity 300-800, Studies in the Early History of Britain, (Leicester) - his book before the other one recommended here. One of the best.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Very pleased with myself as I found ;Dark, Ken R. (1994): Civitas to Kingdom, British Political Continuity 300-800, Studies in the Early History of Britain .... for £47 Big Grin (
Conal Moran

Do or do not, there is no try!
Yoda
Hello Robert,

Thank you for the suggested books. I have added them happily to my reading list. I appreciate you and the others on this thread taking the time and effort to post this information. With all of these titles as a base I am looking forward to jumping into this subject with both feet.

Best

Emil
Emil Bosman
Quote:Very pleased with myself as I found ;Dark, Ken R. (1994): Civitas to Kingdom, British Political Continuity 300-800, Studies in the Early History of Britain .... for £47 Big Grin (

How did you manage that?! I've been trying to get that book for years but it's always been too expensive! :evil:
Arturus Uriconium
a.k.a Mak Wilson
May the horse be with you!
[url:17bayn0a]http://www.makltd.biz[/url]
Just looked on Amazon....wow! I might have to consider selling mine. That's an even sillier price than I got for SC Hawkes' book on Anglo Saxon weapons and warfare.
"Medicus" Matt Bunker

Quote:How did you manage that?! I've been trying to get that book for years but it's always been too expensive! :evil:

I struck lucky on Amazon.com used books :oops:
Conal Moran

Yoda
Quote:That's an even sillier price than I got for SC Hawkes' book on Anglo Saxon weapons and warfare.
I have both - seems I must up my insurance!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Quote:
Medicus matt:1s49sdx2 Wrote:That's an even sillier price than I got for SC Hawkes' book on Anglo Saxon weapons and warfare.
I have both - seems I must up my insurance!

DO NOT, whatever you do, spend a weekend calculating the replacement price for your book collection. Once I got into 5 figures I started to weep.
"Medicus" Matt Bunker

Quote:DO NOT, whatever you do, spend a weekend calculating the replacement price for your book collection. Once I got into 5 figures I started to weep.

Too late ... 800 books, booklets & Mags .... £10k to replace Cry
Conal Moran

Yoda