Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
5-6th century dagger
can someone offer some references/patterns/pics for an accurate late 5th/early 6th century romano-british dagger? would a pugio still be in use or is that too old fashioned? i was thinking maybe a seax would be considered too barbaric?

thanks much.
[Image: DSCF0286.jpg]
[Image: DSCF0287.jpg]

Not sure if this would be a viable option?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
You may want to look at this:

http://www.comitatus.net/Documents/Roma ... nson-2.pdf
Fasta Ambrosius Longus
John

We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

[Image: Peditum3.jpg]
wow. thanks. those are amazing! any of the speculative pictures i had seen over the years had me expecting to see something longer and slimmer. i would have expected to see these in a b-movie based on robert howard stories more than in museum pictures!
There you go... :wink:
Folkert van Wijk
Celtic Auxilia, Legio II Augusta.
With a wide interrest for everything Celtic BC
I read Stephen's article on Germanic knives several times - excellent resource and the utility of the designs is very clear. Big Grin

Interesting knife there, Gaius Julius: seems to be in a very different tradition, with that nice recurve - I would have guessed Iberian? Is that a British find?
Salvianus: Ste Kenwright

A member of Comitatus Late Roman Historical Re-enactment Group

My Re-enactment Journal

~ antiquum obtinens ~
Not 100% sure Silvianus. Its in the BM, but on that card, the serial number starts with GRxxxxxx
Would that stand for Greece, or is it just a coincidental similarity? Anyone familiar with the BM's catalog system?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I think there are 2 similar daggers at the Roman museum at Augsburg, also termed Hunting Knifes, which reportedly came from Gaul IIRC.
Quote:Not 100% sure Silvianus. Its in the BM, but on that card, the serial number starts with GRxxxxxx
Would that stand for Greece, or is it just a coincidental similarity? Anyone familiar with the BM's catalog system?

I think I've found it:

http://www.britishmuseum.org/research/s ... rentPage=1

I'll try to find a pic,but as yet all it says its from a collection and doesn't give an origin.
Fasta Ambrosius Longus
John

Sounds like the one, pit with all that text, it basically tells us little beyond what the card does!! :roll: Sad
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Chances are as it was donated from a private collection to the BM they are reluctant to state where the find came from.
Fasta Ambrosius Longus
John