Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thermopylae 480BC (Great Battles of the World)
It seems we have lost the image during the move from the old forum, I have re-posted it so that others who may not have seen it will know what we are talking about.

[attachment=47]Boeotian001.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

"The men who once dwelled beneath the crags of Mt Helicon, the broad land of Thespiae now boasts of their courage"
Philiades

"So now I meet my doom. Let me at least sell my life dearly and have a not inglorius end, after some feat of arms that shall come to the ears of generations still unborn"
Hektor, the Iliad
There are two types here though, aren't there Mark? There is the well known 'elongated' Boiotian form which is more of a lozenge shape with its cut outs in the straight sections. And then there is the one which looks like a modified aspis. I struggle to see why any artist would create such a form purely and solely for artistic licence. It seems too precise by nature. I suppose it could be a one-off that some hoplite had used - possibly the best job at repairing a damaged shield, but it looks too contrived for that. It looks like it was designed with a purpose in mind. What that purpose is, is anybody's guess.

Given that so much else detail on the pottery is often taken as being accurate representations of equipment - helmets; scabbards; linothoraxes; breat plates etc. - then does it not stand to reason that these artists would most often just be reproducing what they saw - including shields? Following that logic both Boiotian proper and Boiotian/Argive hybrid may well be completely valid, rather than anachronisms as claimed by many scholars.

I'm inclined to wonder if, whilst generally falling from favour, the Boiotian shield survived and continued to be used by some - even if not the majority. I also wonder if the circular hybrid was some kind of 'link' between the Boiotian proper and the aspis; merely designed to continue the styling of one into the other.

Given the Boiotian itself was possibly a link in the chain from earlier dark age models like the dipylon towards the archaic/classical Argive type - there is no reason not to allow for the possibility of this hybrid also being part of that chain.

Knowing there is the practical realisation by many hoplites that an apron suspended from their aspis/hoplon was a useful additional protection for the upper legs, might not some have thought that the Boiotian proper afforded the very same kind of protection? That doesn't of course explain the hybrid which seems the least useful of all of them...

The more I think about either of them, the more I am convinced the 'cuts' were to allow a spear through. We see various forms of pelta, also with a single cut - and I see no reason why the purpose wasn't the same. In close order advancing, the spear in either underhand thrust, or overhand thrust would neatly project through the shield depending upon how the shield was raised or lowered.
[size=75:2kpklzm3]Ghostmojo / Howard Johnston[/size]

[Image: A-TTLGAvatar-1-1.jpg]

[size=75:2kpklzm3]Xerxes - "What did the guy in the pass say?" ... Scout - "Μολὼν λαβέ my Lord - and he meant it!!!"[/size]
Quote: There are two types here though, aren't there Mark?

Yes, the image is a page from the G.H. Chase book, I could have cropped the image, but I thought having both examples displayed would be good for the sake of comparison. It is obvious that the upper image is definately round, while the lower is the more familiar Boiotian. The original book (1902) did not contain images, my modern copy contains several pages of pottery images which offer illustrations of some of the shield devices mentioned in the book (no all of em though Confusedad: ). Not sure if these two examples are pictured together purposely (one would assume so) or simply coincidental. There are other images of Boiotian shields in the book, but only one of the 'hybrid'.

"The men who once dwelled beneath the crags of Mt Helicon, the broad land of Thespiae now boasts of their courage"
Philiades

"So now I meet my doom. Let me at least sell my life dearly and have a not inglorius end, after some feat of arms that shall come to the ears of generations still unborn"
Hektor, the Iliad
Post about Boiotian shields removed over to thread about Marathon book

http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/index.p...966764e03a
[size=75:2kpklzm3]Ghostmojo / Howard Johnston[/size]

[Image: A-TTLGAvatar-1-1.jpg]

[size=75:2kpklzm3]Xerxes - "What did the guy in the pass say?" ... Scout - "Μολὼν λαβέ my Lord - and he meant it!!!"[/size]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Marathon 490BC (Great Battles of the World) Ghostmojo 5 3,644 01-29-2011, 12:21 AM
Last Post: Ghostmojo