Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hellenistic clothing fashions
Hello,

Are there any books about Hellenistic clothing fashions ?

Any type of book would be helpful. I'm interested in male tunics and how they were decorated.
I know stripes were used but I'm unsure if any decorative patterns or motifs were worn on them.

Thanks in advance.

~Theo
Jaime
They're not on Hellenistic military costume in particular, but the Montvert titles by Nick Sekunda on the Ptolemaic and Seleucid armies would be your best bet, particularly the former. Tunics and cloaks in the Hellenistic period do not seem to have been decorated with any sort of patterns or motifs. Solid colours were the norm for most tunics and cloaks; cloaks often had a thick band of colour running around the lower edge(s), as was also rarely the case with tunics. As you note, vertical stripes were just about the only decoration we find - either thinner ones on either side of the chest or one thick one, both running from shoulder to hem.
Ruben

He had with him the selfsame rifle you see with him now, all mounted in german silver and the name that he\'d give it set with silver wire under the checkpiece in latin: Et In Arcadia Ego. Common enough for a man to name his gun. His is the first and only ever I seen with an inscription from the classics. - Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian
Thanks for the info, Ruben.
I'll check out the Sekunda titles.

I thought perhaps a motif like the 'Greek key' or 'Greek wave' would have been worn.
It seems those motifs are only good for the Hellenic period.

~Theo
Jaime