Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Battle of the Plains of Abraham Reenactment Called Off
This is disappointing: a planned reenactment of the Battle of the Plains of Abraham has been cancelled due to complaints from Quebec nationalists and anonymous threats. I don't understand how an event 250 years ago can inspire so much anger (well, I understand it intellectually, but that's not the same thing). Of course, anyone closer to the events is free to fill me in on things the news articles don't mention.
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.
Personally, I am still very sensitive about the imposition and intrusion of the Mesolithic into the traditional and established Paleolithic. Use of microlithic technology and different settlement patterns for example! Calling the Mesolithic the "Epipaleolithic" is just Politically Correct semantics and changes nothing. To be fair, my ancestors came from both the Paleolithic and Mesolithic but still... I believe there is, however, a general awarenes of the emotional sensitivity on this issue since no reenactments have been planned to my knowledge.

Ralph I.
Because the Canadian gov't sponsored the Battle of Abrahams to which the French LOST!!! I'd be annoyed too, especially if I was expected to host it in my home province. Nah, I don't blame them at all. Especially with our relations with Quebec, such an event would be a thorn in their pride.

Legion: TBD
Hmmm, I met a quebec girl in Athens. She said the Quebecers were slowly coming to realise that the rest of Canada was a nice place to see, and the people weren't too bad either.....trust the dumb Ottawa Gov't to do something to mess with that progress! :roll:

Wasn't that long ago they were trying to be come an Autonomous entity within the Canadian Federation, until the 1st Nation Council? not sure if that is the correct term, shot them down.

Anyway, she was pretty nice, so I would be happy to keep her Canadian, rather than gloat over an event in the past. Keep Canada together, all equal under the law I say.
Enough of that upper / lower Canada BS.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Well,l I don't want to violate forum rules...but I agree, let the past stay in the past and get over it, but I see both sides. A shame either way.

Legion: TBD
To give an idea of my position, if I were French I would be mildly annoyed if the government didn't provide some support for a reenactment of Waterloo. Its a big part of their history, like the Plains of Abraham is of ours (and I believe the Plains are a National Historic site, so the reenactors might not have been able to use them without special permission). In a few decades, I'll have no problem with the federal government sponsoring reenactments of battles from the Riel Rebellion which the British lost.
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Topographical Map of the Catalaunian Plains Flavivs Aetivs 18 6,657 05-03-2015, 07:04 PM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs