Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Linothorax vs Quilted linen vs spolas
I may be going out on a limb here, but could beeswax been used for waterproofing? my lino is painted and I rubbed it with Bee Grease (beeswax and Tallow) on a whim, and I have found it to be very much waterproof on the treated surfaces. I got stuck in a rather nasty rainstorm at an event last year and the only places where it got uncomfortably wet was where water from my tunic soaked in and got to the underside, which is unpainted and uncoated. Even then it wasnt any wetter than it has gotten from my sweat standing out in those *great* 98 degree days we like to get round here. Although it does need to have a new coat put on every once in awhile to keep up the waterproof qualities.

Also, I remember back when I did CW in a pinch we would take pork grease and coat the outside of our rifle barrels with it to keep them from rusting. It was nasty and smelled... interesting, but it did the job well. Although it did make cleaning them before firing a real pain. I'm not saying that the ancient Greeks would have rubbed fat into their armor, but I do know that it does help repel water.

Just a thought.

I think that anything that was used would have to have been treated with something, be it paint or something else. Ive seen untreated leather do some pretty interesting things when wet as well. But thats just me.
Michelle E. Hildebrant
[url:3r4j67h2]http://hoplite480.livejournal.com/[/url]

Messages In This Thread
Re: Linothorax vs Quilted linen vs spolas - by Hoplite480 - 02-22-2009, 08:42 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Linothorax vs Spolas katsika 109 32,064 08-08-2012, 11:47 PM
Last Post: MeinPanzer