Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Linothorax vs Quilted linen vs spolas
Stefanos wrote:
Quote:I belive that spolas is probably a subarmalis becasue after anuble of nasty experiences peopl would learn to guard from blunt trauma.
....the problem with this theory is that there is not one shred of evidence ( as far as I know)....not in literature, nor in the depictions/iconography, nor archaeology that Classical Greeks wore such a thing, or padding generally, under body armour. Such an item is more associated with metal armour,especially mail.........

Sean wrote:
Quote:How many such examples do we know of outside the steppes?

....surprisingly enough, quite a few! Similar leather backed scale is often found in Thracian (Bulgarian tombs) and media reports of Macedonian tombs from the correct period refer to the Illyrian helmets, rich gold fittings and 'leather body armour'. Unfortunately, as was remarked in a thread last year, we can't seem to get to the actual archaeological reports themselves, but large numbers of warrior/Hoplite tombs have been excavated in Macedonia and all references to Body Armour that I have seen refer to leather only..... Of course, since the classical Greeks did not go in for this type of burial/inhumation, an actual mainland southern Greek example is all but an impossibility.... Sad
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff

Messages In This Thread
Re: Linothorax vs Quilted linen vs spolas - by Paullus Scipio - 02-23-2009, 03:25 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Linothorax vs Spolas katsika 109 32,307 08-08-2012, 11:47 PM
Last Post: MeinPanzer