Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Linothorax vs Quilted linen vs spolas
Dan,

Good discussions require specificity, so I'm going to narrow the focus here to the area of interest of the people in my group. What we care about is the construction of non-metallic body armour around 490 BC in Attica and Boetia. There is relatively rich pictorial evidence of the shape of that armour in this period, but certain evidence of the materials used is absent as near as I can tell.

Given your absolute certainty (which none of us profess to have), you must be in possession of primary sources that support your position that this armour was quilted linen nearly universally. Please provide them, as all I see is evidence that does not support it, such as:

- No evidence of quilting in artistic represntations of the armour in the period, despite widespread depiction of embroidered and woven decoration in non-armour contexts.
- Herodotus' comments about linen armour in other parts of the world as an oddity from his Greek perspective.

Note that I am not arguing that quilted linen armour is not good protection. I own a quilted jack for a medieval impression, and believe it to be very functional protection. But, in retrospect, its irrelevant to the discussion. Good protection or not does not dictate whether it was worn by archaic Greeks.

Thanks,
Cole
Cole

Messages In This Thread
Re: Linothorax vs Quilted linen vs spolas - by nikolaos - 02-23-2009, 02:34 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Linothorax vs Spolas katsika 109 32,065 08-08-2012, 11:47 PM
Last Post: MeinPanzer